Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original equipment Hankook 406 Summer tyres are coming to the end of their life and I was wondering what tyres people have tried on their Rio and which they think are best.

Toyo CF-1 get good reviews, but it seems as if they don't do these tyres in the 195/55/15 size.

Nokian H tyres also get good reviews.

The other one I was thinking of was the Hankook V12.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had Kumho Solus KH15 as OE, what rubbish tyres they are. I never liked any low end Kumhos that a provided in korean cars, makes the whole car rubbish to drive. I've heard better things from their Ecsta lines, particularly the SPT KU31 (it was a forum fav for Hyundai Coupe owners on a budget)

I'm running Toyo Proxes T1R which does come in 195/55/15 and very good prices if you shop around. They are very directional though and kicks up quite a bit of water in wet, but gives a sporty feel, very good in dry warm condictions.

I'm keeping an eye out on some Dunlop Sport Fast Response as i had these on a company Skoda and they were nice touring style tyres (asymetrical pattern)
Edited by: tkjeeves

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Toyo T1R are quite cheap at Camskill. Do they wear well? The reviews I've seen for the Toyo T1R are a bit mixed

·
Registered
35 Posts
they are a soft tyre so they will wear quick if you have lots of stop start and twisty stuff. But i've managed 20k'ish on A roads and motorways

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On my Rio the Tyres are 195mm. Not sure if the white walls would improve handling, or just the perception of handling...lol

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Was lookin at my front Falken Z912s today with 8k miles on them and the're not that far off the wear limiters. Shockeroony I think I will be renewing them before 12k. Must cool the fun pedal.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Seolman going to 185 would increase the diameter by 14mm and cause speedo to read under. Also going up a width but not reducing profile ie 70 to say a 65 or 60 will probably cause the tyre to roll a bit on the sidewall as the sidewall height would be greater than the 175s.
Personally I would go for 185/65/14 or get yourself a set of 15inch alloys and go for 195/55/15 as these sizes are recommended by Kia.

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
davy said:
Was lookin at my front Falken Z912s today with 8k miles on them and the're not that far off the wear limiters. Shockeroony I think I will be renewing them before 12k. Must cool the fun pedal.

That is shocking! Too many rapid starts?

My original Hankook 406s are down to about 3.5 mm at the front, but at the back are only down 1mm over the same distance (about 20k). The only reason the fronts are down so much is because the garage I went to for the wheel alignment over inflated them and they wore down in the centre very rapidly. Do not be tempted to overinflate the tyres on this car - at all, even 1 psi has a big effect on handling and wear.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The other tyres in the same mentioned price point would be the Hankook Ecsta SPT KU31 or those Falkens or Avon ZV5. It depends on what you want, a touring or sporty tyre?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know, touring or sporty, what's the difference?...just need some good all rounders.

Interestingly, I just got an email fromMytyres.co.uk saying that tyre prices are about to go up dramatically in Spring. Aparently production prices have gone up significantly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
looking at prices for some Toyo's, they are going up already! think you need to get some in quick!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fitted the Nokian "H" tyres to the front of my Rio just before Easter. Had to go back to the fitting centre to get them to balance them properly, but wow! What a difference!
They are quieter, absorb the shocks better and improve the handling significantly.

The old Hankooks lasted a long time and gripped well, but were noisey, felt harsh on bumps and worst of all, made the steering unpredictable and vague at high speed.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Thats great M4. Must have been down to them Hand Cooked tyres that were causing the odd handling you were having.
The Falken Z912s I have are wearing very quickly. I swapped the fronts with the backs just to save me buying 2 new ones soon. Its a Scots thing we like to hold on to our cash for as long as possible

But I have noticed an balance problem now so I will have to get them done asap. I recon I will only have got about 12k out the fronts if I had left them on. They do grip well tho'

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Only 12k?
Lots of wheel spins, or just a very soft compound?
The Hankooks probably would have done 30k if left to wear right down to the limit, but I was glad to see the back of them. Trouble is I've still got the original Hankooks on the back, 40k miles and only worn down 2mm! Would probably last the life of the car if left on the back! Will swap them this weekend, then it's probably another 20k before they wear out.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I was told they are a soft compound tyre. I had a set of Prestivos on before but only for 2 days as they were crap in wet conditions. Compound was way to hard and caused serious understeer then when the backs let go it went into oversteer. I have never experienced so weird a handling in all the different tyres I have used on all my cars. The tyre depot took them back ok and contacted the Prestivo rep who said that they were too hard a compound for my car.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's weird! Seems like tyre choice is very important for the handling ofthe Rio.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Swapped the rear wheels to the front this morning and looks like I need to get those wheels balanced too...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did you have much trouble with the garage getting it right first time? I had to go back twice to get them to balance them properly. Had the same trouble with the wheels I now have on the back, had to get the manager to watch over the guy doing it to make sure it was done properly. The car seems to be very sensitive to wheel balance above 70 mph.
With the Hankooks on the front, the handling is back to being bad again

1 - 20 of 64 Posts