Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is due to its 6th year service shortly. What checks should I do on the vehicle before this happens so I can draw their attention to any issues/potential issues.

I am aware I only have one year of warrently left and given the hassle of getting the vehicle to the dealership I want to make the most of it especially as it is not being used much due to virus so the chances of noticing things is less.

Pointers appreciated please, places I should look at, things I should switch on and operate that perhaps aren't used much?

Thanks from a non mechancial driver,

·
Registered
117 Posts
To be honest i just take mine in apart from making sure all lights work washer fluild is filled up i dont really think there is much more us non mechancial minded can do could be wrong sure someone will give more advice

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
My car is due to its 6th year service shortly. What checks should I do on the vehicle before this happens so I can draw their attention to any issues/potential issues.

I am aware I only have one year of warrently left and given the hassle of getting the vehicle to the dealership I want to make the most of it especially as it is not being used much due to virus so the chances of noticing things is less.

Pointers appreciated please, places I should look at, things I should switch on and operate that perhaps aren't used much?

Thanks from a non mechancial driver,
Just the same checks as you have done in previous years.

The fact you only have 1 year left on the warranty has little meaning.

So check ALL lights are working, fluids are good, Wiper blades are OK. ALL warning lights are working as they should etc.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there any known points of corrosion I should check for on the body work?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Are there any known points of corrosion I should check for on the body work?
Yes.
The cabin doors (any of them can be affected but more often than not rear passenger doors because they aren't used as much) weather strip retainer channels are notorious for trapping water underneath the seal and rusting the retaining channel.
Kia have previously admitted it is an issue and if yours are starting to visibly rust it "should" be a warranty repair as its not a serviceable item so doesn't come under the must have service history situation (but obviously full history helps)
The actual problem is thin paint on the door edges and the design of the channel seal trapping water.
Its common on Ceed's, Souls and Rio's as well.
It was supposed to be sorted on a generation 2 Venga
My rear offside door was replaced at 6 years old. It isn't a fix thing at the dealer, they would replace the door.
To check, open the doors and push the top seal back and you will quickly see if rust is starting (it normally starts on the top edges)
Apart from that I haven't found any other areas on my gen 1 that rust any worse than any other car.

Also, If yours has the Panoramic roof, another thing to watch out for is the centre seal. This gets extraordinarily hot on sunny days (not that we have many of them in this country) and can end up cracking which can let water through to the centre bar. Admittedly the centre bar should drain it to the side gutters but it still shouldn't get to that bar in the first place.
Again it "should" be a warranty repair regardless of service history.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I do pretty much what the other guys have done but before mine Sept 1st just gone have actually gone through a lot more inspection with CV boots.. steering rack gators.. lower arm bushings ..track rod ends and boots and wheel bearing movement on all 4 wheels..also fitted new rear pads and discs on mine and all 4 calipers and carriers have been painted.. I automatically change the wiper blades every year front and back knowing they charge the earth if they have to replace any of them..I'm re- rubbering my blades now and find it cheaper..

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I'm re- rubbering my blades now and find it cheaper..
Not every motor factor stocks the rubber element, indeed very few in my neck of the woods. I last did it about 5 or 6 years ago when I happened to notice a drum of the stuff in an independent motor factor's shop in Royston. I took a guess at how much I needed and when the guy told me the price per metre, I added an extra metre.

On completing the job, I had enough left over to do my partner's car and although I can't remember the price, it was something of the order of a couple of pints of Adnam's. I think it was the first time that I had re-skinned wipers for about 40 years!

·
Registered
919 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts