Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi chaps
Has any body experienced sudden loss of throttle responce,Then a buzzing from under the bonnet with clouds of black smoke following behind. This happend to me last week and after switching the motor off the system must have reset its self and has been fine ever since, Very strange occurance,Can only think fuel feed pump went silly for a split second mmmmmm???

col

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks murphwiz
thank you for the speedy reply, Touch wood no further problems as yet with it,

hope that now i have got to the 50k mark that problems are not going to start raising their ugly heads.

With out patronising your good self you sound like a knowledgable chap,Do you have much history with kia,s

I am a landrover man my self but had to go for a more practical and reliable family run around' no complaints so far,The question is does the carens have an achilles heel apart from gearbox trouble that i have heard of

many thanks

col

·
Registered
887 Posts
Been a kia tech for a number of years...
Carens overall is a relaible beast, keep oil good and it'll go on forever, imho change fuel filter every other service to, this should prevent any injector issues.
Not sure what gearbox issues you mean? they have a 'characteristic' noisy box at high torque loads.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would imagine cavking means the early Carens II gearbox failures around the 60k mark- mrsd Rusty's started giving trouble at about 55k, the change from third to fourth needs to be made very slowly because the synchro is giving up-the car is out of warranty and we did approach the dealer to see if they're doing any goodwill on these because it does seem to be a common problem, something to do with premature wear of brass parts in the 'box. The box failure is common enough for it to be mentioned on honest johns site as something to watch out for: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=784

The dealersaid no goodwillso it's going to run as is for now with a don't buy one of these cars sign in therear windowuntil it does completely fail, at which point I'll hoik it out andhand it over to the gearbox place down the road- they've seen quitea few of these now!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks murphwiz and spot on mr rusty,
thats the issue i was made aware of, The gear change at the moment is like stiring a bucket of custard, But no graunching and positive selection, I am not hard on the box and change slowly almost willing the lumps of metal in place, Makes you wonder how much this would have cost kia if they had honourd the warranty and admitted fault, perhaps the koreans dont have a gesture for putting there hands up in the air and saying "sorry"

But we brits do its called the "stick it up yer pipe and i aint buying another". Any way rant over

tatar for now

col

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had an 04 Diesel for 2 years, only issue was a new clutch needed as the old one was worn. Just passed its MOT, needed 2 front tyres as expected and one number plate bulb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts