Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Has anyone else noticed a drop in MPG's. When we first got the car I used it for 2 weeks going to and from work. I was getting at the end of the 2 weeks around 50mpg. I thought that was brilliant especially considering it was the first 2 weeks of breaking in the car, and usually the MPG only gets better.

Then my wife started to use the car for the school journeys, after 2 weeks I took the MPG reading again, after resetting it from when I used it, and it had dropped slightly to about 46. Now she has 2 big hills she has to go up and the journey each way is probably only 5miles max. So this drop I expected.

I reset it again and left it another few weeks, and took a reading last week. It had dropped again down to 41mpg. So I thought ok well maybe she is being more heavy footed and told her to keep an eye on the way she was driving the car. She said she hadn't been heavy footed and was being cautious because of the fuel she had been using in her previous car.

Anyway I decided to take the car to Cardiff with me thinking the motorway driving would bring the 41mpg reading back up again. I arrived in Cardiff took the reading and it was down to 35mpg

Now i wouldn't say I was exactly speeding, I always keep to between 70-80mph. So after the shock i reset the reading again and travelled back after I had finished. I kept the speed to about 75mph and tried to keep the instant MPG reading as high as I could the whole time. When I got home I once again took the reading and it was 39mpg.

I was expecting it to be up in the 50's.

Does this sound normal to you guys am I expecting too much ???

·
Registered
249 Posts
I really do thinkputting your car details in the "Signature box" found in "Member control box - Edit profile" helps others to give the information you are looking for.

Ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry all. I was thinking I should have put my model down but couldn't get abck on last night.
We have a 1.7 3 SatNav

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ive got an AWD petrol manual and I'm averaging 26 -30 which is rubbish

·
Registered
124 Posts
At the mo iv got the hyundai santa fe 2.2 194bhp and get 41.8 mpg on long journeys up the m4. Around town it's around 29 mpg try to give the car a good run to clear all the carbon from the exhaust as this will make the mpg drop hope this helps

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have 1.7 2 Diesel.

I have about 1100 miles on the clock and my average MPG is currently 52.3

Most of my miles have been motorway

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mcgoo44 said:
I have 1.7 2 Diesel.

What speed is that traveling at ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
mok79 said:
mcgoo44 said:
I have 1.7 2 Diesel.

What speed is that traveling at ?

between 60-70. as soon as i hit the motorway cruise control goes on

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm starting to think anything over 70 on the motorway is what is doing it then. Because I reckon i kept it between 75-80 and put cruise control on.

And my other conclusion is my wife is a heavy footed reckless driver !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Most cars are set up with there gearing to be at its most efficient at 60mph. Although a few people and car reviews have noted that kia's final gear ratios are quiet tall to obtain better mpg on long runs. Even though it can be boring try 70mph as you max speed and see if there's much difference. I know in my passat in cruise control there could be as much as 8mpg difference between 70 & 80

1 - 12 of 12 Posts