Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
MY22 Sportage GT Line S HEV FWD
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m finding the bass quite underwhelming from the Harmon Kardon system, I’m used to Audi Bose or B&O with subs in the boot well.
Has anyone added a sub yet? I’m considering getting one of those slim ‘under the seat’ jobbies but not sure how good they are so may just get something under the boot floor.
While I think of it, does anyone know if adding a sub would cause issues with the 7 year Warranty?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I’m finding the bass quite underwhelming from the Harmon Kardon system, I’m used to Audi Bose or B&O with subs in the boot well.
Has anyone added a sub yet? I’m considering getting one of those slim ‘under the seat’ jobbies but not sure how good they are so may just get something under the boot floor.
While I think of it, does anyone know if adding a sub would cause issues with the 7 year Warranty?
Ditto. It would seem to be quite underwhelming. Although I did notice when playing tracks from my iPhone the bass response was better. 🤔

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ditto. It would seem to be quite underwhelming. Although I did notice when playing tracks from my iPhone the bass response was better. 🤔
I noticed it improved through CarPlay as well, maybe it’s another software thing..
The lack of options due to the equaliser being so basic cant help either, didn’t expect that on a Harmon Kardon system to be honest 😕
I’m going to drop into my local Road Radio later today and speak to the chaps there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I noticed it improved through CarPlay as well, maybe it’s another software thing..
The lack of options due to the equaliser being so basic cant help either, didn’t expect that on a Harmon Kardon system to be honest 😕
I’m going to drop into my local Road Radio later today and speak to the chaps there.
Bose and B&O I’ve had in Audis knock this HK system out of the park. Let me know how you get on 🙂

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
474 Posts
I'll just add on a lesser scale. My Ceed has the JBL sub setup, and like said above. Playing audio through Android auto or Bluetooth from Spotify is pretty decent sounding but unfortunately the radio lacks this bass.

Reactions: JamJar

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I’m used to Audi Bose or B&O with subs in the boot well.
Has anyone added a sub yet?
You'll have to help me out here; is it the case that HK systems in KIA models are not all born equal?

Your post suggests to me that the system in your Sportage is lacking a subwoofer which I find strange. In my Optima, there is a huge subwoofer located in the space where a spare wheel would have been located in the 'good old days',:rolleyes:and I imagined that all KIAs equipped with a HK sound system would have a similar set-up.

I have owned a lot of vehicles over the last 6 decades and the Optima set-up using HK components is the best that I can recall. If I adjust the bass output much over the mid-scale, the effect can be felt right through my body, so I have no complaints, given the system's adjustability.

·
Registered
On Order: Sportage GT Line S PHEV in Infra Red
194 Posts
I was quite excited to hear (no pun intended!) that my chosen Sportage model had a HK sound setup on it, but I'm now not so sure!

My current car, a Volvo V90 has the standard sound system but even that is 300watts with no sub. I had hoped the Sportage would improve on that but I guess it might not with the comments on this thread.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was quite excited to hear (no pun intended!) that my chosen Sportage model had a HK sound setup on it, but I'm now not so sure!

My current car, a Volvo V90 has the standard sound system but even that is 300watts with no sub. I had hoped the Sportage would improve on that but I guess it might not with the comments on this thread.
Prepare to be underwhelmed!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m getting a Pioneer ts-wx400da fitted on Thursday. It’ll fit nicely in one of the foam trays under the rear boot floor. It’s designed as a under seat sub and does fit under the passenger seat, slightly restricts that seat from being dropped to it lowest setting though. Having heard it in store and was advised by the guys there that fitting it in the boot won’t make any noticeable difference. Can post some pics of it fitted if that helps.

·
Registered
Order Sportage GT Line S Petrol HVE FWD Penta & Black roof 11th April 22
20 Posts
I’m getting a Pioneer ts-wx400da fitted on Thursday. It’ll fit nicely in one of the foam trays under the rear boot floor. It’s designed as a under seat sub and does fit under the passenger seat, slightly restricts that seat from being dropped to it lowest setting though. Having heard it in store and was advised by the guys there that fitting it in the boot won’t make any noticeable difference. Can post some pics of it fitted if that helps.
That will be amazing if you could take some pic

·
Registered
150 Posts

+1 wish I had tested the system before purchase...

·
Registered
2022 Ceed GT line 1.5TGDI - Fusion Orange
344 Posts
What does the wattage of the system have to do with anything? You are confusing power with loudness and clarity...

·
Registered
194 Posts
What does the wattage of the system have to do with anything? You are confusing power with loudness and clarity...
I understand what you are saying and while i did state the wattage only it was simply laziesness on my part. I simply used the fact that, in general, when it comes to car sound systems the higher the wattage then generally you should be getting a better system.

I know this is a gross simplification, and indeed the Sportage Harmon Kardon system is a case in point.

·
Registered
194 Posts
To try and better explain.

The Volvo I currently have has 10 speakers and 330w power, but no seperate subwoofer.

It is quite simply the cleanest, more revealing car sound system i have ever listened to. The bass is lacking, but the detail present in the music is fantastic. The car does have an advantage that it has a native Spotify app, and you have control over the streaming quality so you can ensure that the source is high quality too.

I will miss the Spotify app built in, and indeed it looks like i might miss the sound quality as well.

·
Registered
2022 Ceed GT line 1.5TGDI - Fusion Orange
344 Posts
I have am XC40 with the HK airwoofer system, and native spotify.

Spotify over AA/Carplay is just as good but you have to plug your phone in (Ceed). I would suggest that you can have the desired sound you are looking for simply.

If you just want bass, its easy enough to fit up any sub, the Pioneer mentioned earlier is great because it is powered, and hook it up in the boot using a rapid fit kit. Either use the fuse as is running from the internal fuse compartment and ground in the rear else use the rear auxiliary socket as a tap for power as it'll handle as much as you need

The connectors for the rapidfit are simple once you locate the correct wiring in the bottom of the A-pillar.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts