Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I wonder if anyone can help please? I have a 2007 Kia Sportage CRDi 1991cc. It's had an intermittant lack of power for a little while. The dash warning light came on to identify an EGR Valve problem. This was replaced with a new one. Now I have found that the car runs lovely whilst the air con is swithed on. Turn the air con off and the car splutters and misses at low speed when trying to accelarate. Switch the air con back on and the problem has gone.....weired! Can anyone help please? Chris.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,

I've had a 2006 Sportage from new and it's weird but it too runs smoother with the air-con switched on. I'm not sure if and when it started because I always have the air-con switched on, year round, since I like it and it's the best way to ensure it always works.

I thought I was imagining things - how can the air-con have such an effect - but it's very real and happens on mine too. However, it's quite subtle - it's just not as smooth and at low speed it does lurch sometimes.

If I'm driving, without looking, I can tell if the air-con is on or not. It's just somehow smoother when it's on - so I leave it on.

Did you have any more on this? Is it still doing it?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sounds like the EGR again!
Look on the Carens forum for "surging". Your engine is ,I believe, the same 1991cc CRDI.The A/C curing it confirms its the EGR again as when the A/C is on, the ECU tells the EGR not to operate.

There's a new software update for the Carens which seems to have cured my problem!
Ask your dealer if it's suitable for the Sportage - or Viking Paul may pop online and give you the lowdown.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the reply - interesting indeed...

Can anyone tell me the rough cost of replacement?

if it's hundreds, might as well leave the aircon on!

·
Registered
5 Posts
mine does the same as your cars but it seems to be worse when it is really warm weather , had the erg valve replaced but it still stuuters like kangaroo diesel . but running air con costs money and it uses enough fuel as it is , garage says ther nothing wrong !!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Cost depends on what you need, complete EGR valve is a couple of hundred plus fitting, but you can buy the lower has of it(the valve body). When and who replaced the EGR valve? is it still under parts warranty? As mention in other posts above, there is an ECU update to stop this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
I just had the same issue.
so I tried the aircon to see if this would resolve it as a temporary fix.
It did, so went to Kia got upgrade (£54) and problem now resloved.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Help!! I too have this problem so phoned kia this morning and they said our 2006 model was air flow not electric so would have to replace egr at a cost of around £500 plus. Does that mean that the ecu sensor can't be upgraded?? Confused by it all but feeling a bit fobbed off by kia. Problem only occurred after car kept going into limp mode and warning code said dpf fault which we've now had removed.(also had new feul filter fitted. Doesnt go into limp mode now but misfires in low revs (no warning light so cant diagnose)Edited by: Horseworld1

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello,
I had the EGR replaced by main Kia dealer in Dublin in September last year and stuttering reappeared again a couple of weeks ago when driving at 1800/2000 rpm.
I have a 2007 Carens 2.0 diesel automatic.
Took it back to the garage and they say no fault detected and no upgrade available for my car.
I tried to drive with air con and it seems to run smoother. Haven't tried for several day though, only on way back from work.
Can anyone tell me the version of the software upgrade?
Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts