Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 2.0 GT Line- 55,000 miles.

I've noticed over the last week a noise coming from the off side front when turning the steering.
I can't hear it when driving, only when stationary, or a crawling pace, ie in and out of my drive etc.

I've had it up on a jack, no broken springs, but the way the turning movement is juddering, I'm suspecting the strut bearing is failing.
This is a first for me, has anyone else had one go?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

I guess so

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have had noise from my OSF strut also. It started off at low speeds but then got worse and started to happen when traversing pot holes or repairs to road surface.

Went into dealer last week & they replaced a "spring pad" (that's how they described it) which has helped but it has not gone away entirely so I will be taking it back.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Get underneath it and have someone waggle the steering to make the noise. You can then try to localise the noise and possibly even feel it by touching various parts of the suspension as the steering is moving. You probably need the weight on the wheels.

Worn drop links can usually be induced to make a noise by physically rocking the car to induce rolling movement.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Already done that. Its definitely centered around the way the strut rotates.
I can physically see the whole movement juddering. Can feel it on the spring.
The garage reckons the strut pad replacement is the way to go, so its booked in for next Tuesday. Based purely on a telephone diagnosis. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
912 Posts
best to replace both bearing and the support bushing. Maybe even the shock absorber while you are at it, they are cheap enough. The stabiliser rods may be difficult to re use also.

...both sides of course.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Isn't this issue down to worn bushes at the top of the front struts. I'm sure its well documented on the forum. I mentioned the same issue when my car was serviced a few weeks ago and it's back in the Dealers next week having them replaced under warranty

·
Registered
912 Posts
the bushing/pads tend to create thuds and perhaps knocking when drivng in a straight line, the bearing produces more the following symptoms:
I can physically see the whole movement juddering. Can feel it on the spring.
as the steering is turned lock to lock when standing still.

However if this is the correct diagram in the link below, then it would appear that there is no bush over the bearing, and that the issue is most likely with the bearing itself.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a bit of an update.
The car went in for the strut pads replacing, which didn't cure the issue.
In fact I'd say that it's now a lot worse.
The dealership acknowledged this before handing the car back, with new bearings on order.
It was due to go back in last week for the bearings replacing, but they didn't arrive, so it's now earmarked for next week after the Easter break.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Incidentally, the noise can only be heard at low speeds or standing.
The best way to describe it is a boinging noise, a bit like a spring, hence why I initially inspected for a broken spring.

·
Registered
361 Posts
An update on mine - took the master tech out in the car and demonstrated the noise to him. He agreed it was a nasty knock and clearly replacing the spring pads hadn't fixed it.
Two hours later I got a call - car fixed - not covered under warranty - balance to pay of £120.

Hot footed it back to the dealer to be presented with a stone the size of a small jacket potato which apparently had wedged itself in the suspension against the steering rack. Took them 2 hours to find it by stripping down all the suspension. So nothing to bill to Kia under warranty as nothing actually broken - but I have a very expensive memento in a plastic bag now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts