Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on an on-going problem with my '12 plateC'eed 3. A few months ago I was listening to radio while driving and thought I heard what sounded like the sound/music jumping or stuttering. The best way I can describe it is a note repeats itself but carries on fine afterwards.

This can happen numerous times during a song or someone talking, I would say happens most of the time but maybe not every single journey - it's a bit random.

After a few months of putting up with it now, it is becoming borderline annoying and would like it fixed. I listen to various stations, but the only one it seems to happen on is BBC Radio 1 (no slating please :) ) on 99.3 Mhz. I checked on a BBC reception web site and they don't seem to 'care' much about reception in cars, just houses etc.

From experience I'm thinking my local dealer will either claim they can't reproduce the problem or give it the time required to look into it further and have it fixed/replaced.

If I thought they would take it seriously I would happily book my car in for it to be checked over. I do have some sound clips recorded on my phone (which was placed in door pocket) so I have some sort of proof that the radio skips/jumps etc. The same radio station/frequency does not skip when listened to at home or in my wife's car, so the issue seemsonly with my car.

Basically has anything similar happened to anyone on here and what was the outcome? Also what are the thoughts on taking it to my local dealer?

TIA,

Dave W

Edited by: dw1287

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I thought I noticed the same thing but with Radio 2, after a few weeks I was certain I was not imagining it so I have switched to a local station.

I was getting fed up with the BBC's bias anyway.

I don't think it is an issue with the radio as t cannot 'stick or jump' I put it down to the BBC.

No problems since I have switched stations.

My car is part ex'd next week so I am taking no action

·
Registered
250 Posts
My previous car ( 57 plate Fiat Bravo ) developed a problem, which got worse with time. First sympton was on long trips it would not swap transmitters to keep the station. Fine local to the main transmitter ( Morborne, near Peterborough ) It got worse, losing stereo in certain locations where hills got in the way of line of sight. The general concensus of opinion was that the amplified aerial base had got moisture in and basically stopped working.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again,

Thanks Grumpy, Terry and Neil for your replies. Today I spoke to a local car audio person, who had not heard of the problem in his 30 years of experience. Based on what I told him with the repetition of sound and that it would appear to be only my car affected, he recommended having my car checked by local dealer.

Will get it booked in and report back with the results!

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A small update to this....

Managed to establish what the exact problem is now. It is when the stereo/ariel decides to switch to a stronger signal and is flicking between two (very close) frequencies for the same radio station. Looking on the map I'm located roughly right in the middle between two radio transmitters, so in a way I can understand why it is torn between the two for a better signal. However this problem has only been around for a few months, it never was an issue before that. Whether my stereo is faulty or something has changed with broadcasting (unlikely...) I don't know.

I have looked in all the accessible menus on the stereo and cannot see anywhere that allows me to switch off "AF" alternative frequency. Annoyingly the Kia manual for my car mentions it can be switched on/off however all the words and pictures look as if it refers to the non sat nav version of stereo.

Surely there is a way on the sat nav version to switch off AF?

Popped into my local dealer at lunchtime but no one was available to come out and have a quick look. They could only recommend switching off AF, which isn't possible as far as I know.

Unless someone here knows how to, I'll have to wait until it can be looked into next month as it's booked in for other things to be resolved too.

Dave

Edited by: dw1287

1 - 6 of 6 Posts