Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I not so long ago bought a Kia Rio 3 1.4 CRDI 2012, and for some reason it had tape over the screen in the center of the instrument cluster. So I followed the Kia manual i found online and did everything correctly including disconnecting the battery before starting. When i came to start the car though after finishing and putting everything back the dials which normally sweep to either end stopped doing that and started to make a ticking noise and go the opposite direction.
Now the revcounter is no longer pointing at 0 and is pointing downwards. but when i rev the car it still moves but just doesnt show me the correct reading.

Everything else is fine its only the revcounter which has come across this problem. I was wondering if anyone has come across this problem before or can identify what has went wrong

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Why did you not post in the appropriate model.year section?

We have seen cases when re-connecting the power where some systems get confused. I believe that this is caused by the power not being reconnected cleanly so it comes on and off a few times very quickly. This interrupts the start process in some of the car's many computers and they do not initialise themselves properly. Disconnect the battery and leave it for 20 minutes, then reconnect it cleanly (one bold quick movement) and see if that has helped.

Not sure why you felt the need to disconnect the battery just to remove a bit of tape though.

·
Registered
941 Posts
for some reason it had tape over the screen in the center of the instrument cluster.
Is it not obvious. It was placed there to hide lights or a message that the seller did not want you to see. The sellers alternative would have been to sort it out properly but my guess is that ahd been tried and failed or had been too expensive to do correctly.

If you bought it within the last 30 days and it was from a garage take it back and demand a refund under the Consumer Act 2015 legislation. Looks like you have been robbed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry but the crystal ball is not working so well.. What vehcicle and year are we talking about? Why did you not post in the appropriate model.year section?

We have seen cases when re-connecting the power where some systems get confused. I believe that this is caused by the power not being reconnected cleanly so it comes on and off a few times very quickly. This interrupts the start process in some of the car's many computers and they do not initialise themselves properly. Disconnect the battery and leave it for 20 minutes, then reconnect it cleanly (one bold quick movement) and see if that has helped.

Not sure why you felt the need to disconnect the battery just to remove a bit of tape though.
No sorry the crystal ball was the part that was covered and to access it i had to remove the instrument cluster and i had no idea how and only followed the kia manual which told me to disconnect the battery while doing this. Its the tachometer or rev counter that is now the problem as it is not set to 0 when the car first starts. Its a Kia Rio 3 1.4 CRDI 2012. And sorry im new to the forums and seen customer support and thought this was the best place to post it didnt know there was sub categories for specific models. I will try disconnecting the battery again and leaving it for a while and reconnect it and see if that fixes things.

I only disconnected it because of the instrument cluster because i had to take the whole thing out and open it up as the tape was also held down by the metal bracket on the crystal ball

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it not obvious. It was placed there to hide lights or a message that the seller did not want you to see. The sellers alternative would have been to sort it out properly but my guess is that ahd been tried and failed or had been too expensive to do correctly.

If you bought it within the last 30 days and it was from a garage take it back and demand a refund under the Consumer Act 2015 legislation. Looks like you have been robbed.
Im not 100% sure if it was them that put it there but it was obviously not advertised or stated. the only thing it is hiding is a warning for the Auto Stop System which i am not too bothered about too much. I do have a warranty with the seller but it only covers the engine and the gearbox so my problem doesn't apply to that.
But sadly i bought the car 5 weeks ago so i can not claim a refund under that act but im ringing them as soon as i can anyway as im not too happy with their service and parts of the car as there have been other problems already.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
OK now I understand why you removed the power.

If there is a warnig on the dash (formerly hidden by the tape) then you will have to get it fixed as it is an MoT failure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK now I understand why you removed the power.

If there is a warnig on the dash (formerly hidden by the tape) then you will have to get it fixed as it is an MoT failure.
Yeah sorry i was trying to word it the best i could but i think i got a little jumbled up when i was typing it out

the only warning that comes up is a 'check Auto Stop System' which im not sure is an MOT failure but the MOT runs out in August so i will be able to get it checked out then or earlier if i need to take it the garage before then

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Although auto stop is not required on a car (as yet anyway), all safety equipment where fitted must work.

I would anyway be worried about that because we don't know what the fault is nor what effect it could have (e.g. falsely slamming on the brakes while you are in the outside lane of the motorway) or in some way causing a brake malfunction.

I am a bit surprised that a 2012 KIA actually has autostop - has someone perhaps fitted the incorect instrument panel?

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
If this came from a dealer with the tape over a warning light. You need to take it back.

As Turnup. A non working warning light is going to be a MOT fail.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts