Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Tempest, my technical guru, how's the rainy country? Still awaiting Kia's verdict on the paint shade difference on the Vanilla Shaker. However, as of late the diesel noise has gone through the usual diesel, through a louder clatter now into a rather alarming knock at low revs.It goes into Kia MK on Thursday who first suggested it is a normal modern diesel sound. Poppycock as it was quiet as are most modern diesels. The strange thing about it is when idling, dip the clutch and hold down to the floor, increase the revs slightly and get the terrible knock then select a gear and without raising the clutch pedal, PRESTO IT'S AS QUIET AS AN AUDI! Put the gear lever back to neutral and knocks like hell again. There's nothing wrong with the clutch for sure. Ever heard of anything like this Taff? Soulman

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Funnily enough i am putting mine in soon to have the door locked replaced and have them check the engine out, cos mines getting noisier too!. The engine note can sound very rough with just a few extra revs on, then it smooths and quietens as you increase the revs..... i always put this down to the timing getting changed as revs increase and the turbo comes in to muffle things.....but gonna have it checked. Also mine has developed a slight boom at 2500 revs.... smack on normal cruising speed (75mph) and the fuzz dont accept the excuse of "well its much quieter at 85mph, officer!!!". In all honesty the car is feeling old and rattly and its only done 32k.... it should be just getting in its stride and in its prime now. My wifeys 12 year old Hyundai still drives and sounds like new!.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
That does not sound like anything to do with the engine soulman more the clutch release bearing making a noise.I have on occisions had a moaning noise from the clutch,try it inreverseto see if its the same.I have no problems with the clutch according to several dealers and it has been checked several times!The engine itself is about the same as has always been ,not quite as many miles on the clock as Tempest but not far behind at all.What Tempest has with his is the echo bouncing around the valleys .

·
Registered
270 Posts
Crikey Tempest is the "honeymoon" with the Soul over already I was counting on you as our leader
in the Soul crusade. On a serious note do you still feel that the Soul is a good car ? I would like to
think that I am still in love with mine at 32k you got me thinking now.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
nah the honeymoon isnt over..... still gonna keep the car forever.... noticed that i use the stereo less too.... maybe i need to crack it up a bit and drown the noise out!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Just drove to work and it was as smooth as silk!!!...obviously giving it a sl*gging off on the forum made it buck its ideas up (and i had the stereo on!)....lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies gang. Think maybe you have similar symptoms to me Tempest although mine has only done 26k Try giving those extra few revs with the clutch depressed then move into a gear without actually engaging that gear. I'd be interested to see what you find because when I do it the engine becomes silky smoothe. When you give it wellie, the thing becomes quiet and goes like stink. It's not the clutch Dave as that is totally quiet and operates as it should. However some inside info leak says of an injector modification recall.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Mine is a march 10 Tempest with as near as makes no odds 30k on the clock, still love mine.Its smooth ,or as smooth as a diesel is, no problems at all with noise from the engine though from your description soulman if you have the clutch depressed with the 1st gear engaged the only item that is working at that point is the clutch which you have depressed.The gearbox should not be in a drive situation unless the clutch is dragging and not fully disengaged .There should be no load on the engine as the clutch is pressed down so if you increase the revs to make it smooth it should make no difference whether or not the car is just stood or in gear with the clutch down unless in some way the clutch is putting a load of some kind on the engine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still don't reckon it's the clutch Dave as it's working perfectly and makes no difference to the revs when depressed and has no noises or rumbles. It's only when the revs are slightly increased to around 1100 rpm that the engine knocks quite alarmingly and is getting worse daily. Still, it's gone in today so we'll see what they find. Was out with my friend last night who is a Kia Engineer at MK Kia and he's never heard one like it.
Tempest, did you try emulating what I did and how did you find it?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I will be very interested to find out what it is , mine has not turned a wheel for over a week now in fact it will be 12 days since the engine has run. I am stuck in with what seems to be a trapped nerve I know that its damm painful and I can't walk let alone drive. Something I have not found out that your friend may know, is it a dual mass flywheel on the clutch on the Soul soulman.
I have 30k on the Tempest now and it would be nice to know if there are any long term problems with the 1.6 diesel or the car in particular.Now we have retired we intend to keep the Soul for a long time,we normaly get rid at 3 or 4 years old but in the past my wife and I have used both our cars for business and they have had big mileages on by that time. Now we are down to one car at alower mileage it has got to last a lot longer ,I can't afford to change it as often now we are retired.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Apparently not - if you cut and paste that link it should work and you can see for yourself
the two answers i had.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It still will not work however if it does not have one then as far as I am concerned thats good, all in all my Tempest diesel has been and still is a great car. I have had many different makes of cars in the past some of them very expensive and the Kia has been very good and as withall manufactures if you get a good dealer ,which I have, then it all comes together. I remember one make that I had that had the worse dealers that I have evercome across ,I thought their cars were OK but no more than that and as a package with the dealers extremely poor ,they tell me that Mercs are still no better now only they are slightly better built.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you click on "kia forum" at the top and then click on" main message forum " my thread is
on the 2nd page. but i can tell you that i was mighty relieved not to have a dual mass flywheel
as a clutch change charge goes from 3 figures to 4 figures.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Even with mega miles I used put on my cars I have only replaced one clutch and that was when the oil seal went on one. I have heard that Vauxhall have a big problem with the dual mass clutch on all their big diesels so anything that keeps the Soul reliable I am up for it.I have just arrived back from the docs and after 13 days just stoodthe Tempeststarted without any problems and isrunning great.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Yes, mine does the same...... increase the revs and the engine sounds rough, slip it in gear with clutch down and engine goes quiet. Could still be the car altering the engine timing in readiness for driving away. Let me know how you get on and what they diagnose.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Mine is not noisey at all for a diesel ,one of the cars in the carpark is a Ford Mondeo and thats what I call a rattly diesel.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi Tempest notice from the American site you have a website for Soul bits n pieces any chance
of giving us link ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts