Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2020 Niro 4 which has one mildly annoying feature. When the car is locked and I walk past it with the key in my pocket, the mirrors automatically unfold for about 10 seconds before then refolding. My two questions are:

1 - How do I turn it off (without also turning off the mirror fold/unfold on locking/unlocking the car which is actually useful)?
2 - Why is the feature there in the first place, seems completely pointless to me?

·
Registered
738 Posts
I was under the belief that without the mirror unfold, we wouldn't have puddle lighting? It's the only explanation for the timing they chose.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1, No you can't.
2, Yes, it's pointless.
Well that's annoying.

I was under the belief that without the mirror unfold, we wouldn't have puddle lighting? It's the only explanation for the timing they chose.
Maybe, but even if that is the case you only need puddle lights when you're getting in or out of the car, not when you're just walking past it.

·
Super Moderator
5,415 Posts
I own a 2020 Niro 4 which has one mildly annoying feature. When the car is locked and I walk past it with the key in my pocket, the mirrors automatically unfold for about 10 seconds before then refolding. My two questions are:

1 - How do I turn it off (without also turning off the mirror fold/unfold on locking/unlocking the car which is actually useful)?
2 - Why is the feature there in the first place, seems completely pointless to me?
Which 4?

As my 2020 "4" Hev does not do this. Only unfolds when you press button to unlock doors.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Only way round it is to set the car mirrors not to fold when locked. Therefore they won't unfold when you walk past with the key in your pocket.

·
Super Moderator
5,415 Posts
The self charging hybrid, UK spec registered in July 2020.
Strange as mine does not do it. Will have a look in settings later.

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
175 Posts
Which 4?

As my 2020 "4" Hev does not do this. Only unfolds when you press button to unlock doors.
Thought this was a standard Kia thing, my sportage kx4 also does this

·
Super Moderator
5,415 Posts
Thought this was a standard Kia thing, my sportage kx4 also does this
Sadly not, a 4 in one model, may not have the same features as a 4 in another.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've just tried mine and it does the same.
Obviously it is unfolding the mirrors as you approach because it thinks you are going to unlock the car and drive.
The way to stop it annoying you is to leave your keys in the house. Or accept that is going to happen and live with it.

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
175 Posts
Sadly not, a 4 in one model, may not have the same features as a 4 in another.
Think it’s only bottom of each range that doesn’t have the folding mirrors

·
Registered
1 Posts
Only other solution I can think of, is to put the key in an RFID bag when you're not using it! Like a Defender RFID bag or similar.

Why manufacturers design functions to work in this way, I have no idea! I'd much prefer mirrors to unfold when you start the car, rather than simply unlocking it....

·
Super Moderator
5,415 Posts
......and there you have it; a cost-free solution!

Or try this... As miine does not unfold mirrors when I approach with key in my pocket. (y)

Reactions: Ian636 and Indalo

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The way to stop it annoying you is to leave your keys in the house. Or accept that is going to happen and live with it.
I like to have my car and house keys on the same keyring, far more practical than splitting them.

Or try this... As miine does not unfold mirrors when I approach with key in my pocket. (y)

View attachment 11183
Excellent, thank you :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts