Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

On the face of it, this might seem a silly ""˜post' but I really am uncertain about the Stop/Start technology in my new Sportage. No problems with it working, it works exactly as described and, in the long term, should cut fuel consumption by up to 12%. My concern is the wear and tear on the whole ""˜starter motor system' motor gear and engine flywheel. I would think that should the starter motor wear out after 5 years ( equivalent to at least 10 years normal engine starting) then Kia would probably class this as ""˜the wearing out of a normal service item' and not replace it under warranty. This could be an even more expensive repair if the flywheel gearing is also worn. Basically, I cannot see how the starter motor will last unless it is specifically designed and specially engineered to withstand such increased use.Am I being overly pessimistic? Any techno's out there who can reassure me about either the Kia engineering or warranty?Anyone any experience of the longevity of such systems? Thanks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
In my BMWit lasted about 5 minutes - after which I turned it off permanently !!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 'Belgrave' that's pretty much what I am doing, several friends have this Stop/Start technology in their cars and they all switch it off! Would like to think it would save fuel AND the starter system would last at least 7-8 years though!

·
Registered
12 Posts

Hi Geoff9309 From Cockney Sparrow
Just got a17Crdi ECO and yesliving London I think the same as you, that extra ware & tear on
thesystemas you can imagine my car isstopping & starting every 2 yards in the rush hour and
not much better after that so I turnmine off. My old picasso never had it and that was 1900Hp
diesilso hopeing my fuel bills will be about the same asits newer designe engine will post again
in a few months

·
Registered
536 Posts
Makes you wonder why car makers don't just run the engines on 2 cylinders. With lightweight flywheels, hill assist, more accurately balanced crankshafts and electronic fuel injection (coupled with variable valve timing) the second the engine senses it's not under load it could just use minimal amounts of fuel to keep the engine spinning..that way it would save fuel even when your moving too and not put extra forces into the crank.
Eg when your pulling away in traffic but are going so slow you can't fully take your foot from the clutch.
It's no different than taking your foot off the throttle while in gear with the clutch out because engines don't use fuel then either

1 - 6 of 6 Posts