Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 UK spec KIA Pro Ceed. Two issues first off I am consistently having to replace bulbs on the car.
Almost every 6 months one will go. Now this time my stop lights have stopped working. No problem I though I will just crack out the manual and replace the bulbs...first problem is the stop light is the bulb in the centre of my cluster.
However this bulb actually works. It's just when I press the break nothing happens. It is like it is on solidly.

Looking on You Tube people suggest it maybe the stop lamp switch? ( I tried replaced the fuze which didn't fix it).
How easy is it to replace it and how do I know which one to get?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I guess there is a switch contacting the brake pedal, you may be able to work the switch on and off while someone checks the lights.
The filament bulbs can become defect and work OK occasionally while not work at other times, so replace the bulbs even if they are OK today, just to eliminate that cause.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess there is a switch contacting the brake pedal, you may be able to work the switch on and off while someone checks the lights.
The filament bulbs can become defect and work OK occasionally while not work at other times, so replace the bulbs even if they are OK today, just to eliminate that cause.
Ok I will do as they are cheap enough

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We replaced the dual filament bulbs but the break light or that part of the element only works sometimes. I have ordered a new break light switch off eBay so will see if that fixes it. I spoke to the mechanic in the KIA garage he said that would be the next step. Then after that he said he would need to run a diagnostics.. that would cost £80!

Assuming it does come to that can I buy some kit to do that my self? is it fairly easy I do work in IT

·
Registered
260 Posts
I recently purchased an icarsoft CR Pro, easy to operate and it can communicate with all car brands. It provides more questions than answers for a DIYer like me.
However it's handy for finding defect coils and reading values etc.
You may be able to unplug the brake light switch, and test the 2 contacts on the plug.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I recently purchased an icarsoft CR Pro, easy to operate and it can communicate with all car brands. It provides more questions than answers for a DIYer like me.
However it's handy for finding defect coils and reading values etc.
You may be able to unplug the brake light switch, and test the 2 contacts on the plug.
Thanks will try that, that icarsof is a bit expensive my KIA is old it is 2008 the car is probably only worth about £800.
Is there a much cheaper device than can just pull off the error codes that I can then Google? I have seen one on ebay for example for £50

or this one?

·
Registered
260 Posts
You should Google OBDII devices and read up a bit before buying. There are so many on the market now.

I found out that forking out more for a model that reads all cars is best, maybe you'll switch car brands next time you buy. Plus there is good support available for icarsoft. the cheaper units often can't read all the data and are worth pretty much nothing used.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I fitted a new brake light switch and same problem it would seem only one of the lights turns on when i press the brake lever. When I spoke to my mobile mechanic he said it could be something to do with resistance?

if I buy this icarsoft CR Pro will it diagnose these kind of issues do you think?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have not tested my CR Pro on a Kia. There's probably a 50% chance it's an issue that won't show up on the diagnostic tool.
If one side is functioning correctly, then you are getting close to resolving the issue. Do you have any led bulbs? If so they may cause issues. Have you swapped the new bulbs to ensure the dead lamp remains on the same side.
Can be the bulb holder, they can get damp or corroded.

Try hot-lineing a new earth with a test lead from the bulb to earth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not tested my CR Pro on a Kia. There's probably a 50% chance it's an issue that won't show up on the diagnostic tool.
If one side is functioning correctly, then you are getting close to resolving the issue. Do you have any led bulbs? If so they may cause issues. Have you swapped the new bulbs to ensure the dead lamp remains on the same side.
Can be the bulb holder, they can get damp or corroded.

Try hot-lineing a new earth with a test lead from the bulb to earth.

It is interesting you mention LED bulbs as yes I did have some and yes I think they were causing issues so I have taken them out. I have now put in 2 new standard bulbs and yes they are working correctly. Hopefully they stay that way I believe the new brake light switch fixed the issue! thanks for your help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts