Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m thinking of switching from my 2019 Stonic to an Xceed PHEV though I’ve not been able to test drive one. Many reviews seem to say the performance is a bit lacklustre and, indeed on paper, the 0 to 60 is a second slower. I don’t know if anyone has made the same switch but would be interested to know how you feel about performance out on the road. It’s only that concern that’s stopping me at the moment. Many thanks.

·
Registered
Xceed First Edition PHEV
43 Posts
It really depends on if you need the performance?When running on electric it's a very relaxing way of getting about but it's no ball of fire.If you press the sport button then the engine starts and the acceleration is massively improved with masses of power.So basically running around town in electric is absolutely fine but if your a keen driver then maybe it's not for you.Just as a heads up,my Xceed PHEV only costs 50pence to charge on Octopus Go tariff through the night which gives me 30 miles of range.Compare that to approx £5 per gallon then it's much cheaper to run.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for getting back to me. Certainly take your point that, whatever the performance, I am going to gain massively financially. Most of my trips are local but every month I do a 400 mile round trip so it will be interesting to see how that goes, assuming I go ahead. The performance issue is related to that long trip as the roads are poor and frequent overtaking a feature. Thanks again.

·
Registered
Xceed First Edition PHEV
43 Posts
In sport mode you will have no difficulty overtaking.The added bonus is that in sport mode,it charges the battery up.
I did a long trip over a few days with only charging the car once before we set off.Over the days the range went up and down depending on the sort of trips we were doing but when we got back it had done an overall mileage of 70mpg.During the week,at home, the car uses no petrol at all!

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT - sw220211 - map14.47.48.631.401.5
581 Posts
On paper, the two have similar power to weight ratio: about 90 bhp per tonne.
But crucially, the Xceed is naturally aspirated 1.6L engine with 100 bhp, assisted by a 40bhp electric motor.
Although the 0-60 might be slightly slower on the drag strip, the electric engine should provide instant power.
Therefore, I would imagine that it will feel a little more poky when overtaking.

Even the Stonic, in Mild Hybrid configuration, get tested in ECO mode, and when the "tester" :rolleyes: engages SPORT mode, they forgot that they haven't yet charged the 48V battery pack... :unsure:

See motoring journalists are mostly opinionated d***heads entertainers...

·
Registered
Xceed PHEV 1st ed 2021
8 Posts
I have had mine for about 6 weeks. Yes in pure EV mode it won't burn rubber, but its a tranquil driving experience. If you use kickdown in EV, the ICE comes on anyway. If you need to overtake urgently, set it in Sport (even temporarily) and you won't be disappointed, although (like any ICE car) you will use more fuel when overtaking. It does run out of torque above about 65mph I find.

The engine comes on as soon as you put the heating/A/C on, but only charges the battery most of the time, and generates heat for the heating system. To avoid using fuel to keep yourself warm on short EV powered journeys switch the heating system off and use the heated seats (and steering wheel if you've got it). You just need to learn a new way of managing your consumption of fuel and power and charge it whenever you can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies which have eased my concerns so I will put my order in. Only problem now is colour, none are particularly inspiring sadly.

·
Super Moderator
9,389 Posts
I have had mine for about 6 weeks. Yes in pure EV mode it won't burn rubber, but its a tranquil driving experience. If you use kickdown in EV, the ICE comes on anyway. If you need to overtake urgently, set it in Sport (even temporarily) and you won't be disappointed, although (like any ICE car) you will use more fuel when overtaking. It does run out of torque above about 65mph I find.

The engine comes on as soon as you put the heating/A/C on, but only charges the battery most of the time, and generates heat for the heating system. To avoid using fuel to keep yourself warm on short EV powered journeys switch the heating system off and use the heated seats (and steering wheel if you've got it). You just need to learn a new way of managing your consumption of fuel and power and charge it whenever you can.
Intrigued as to how far you get under pure EV mode?

As the 48v battery is very small & a HEV will only do a max of 2 to 3 miles. Even then you can not force it into EV mode.

·
Registered
Xceed PHEV 1st ed 2021
8 Posts
Intrigued as to how far you get under pure EV mode?

As the 48v battery is very small & a HEV will only do a max of 2 to 3 miles. Even then you can not force it into EV mode.
The Xceed is a PHEV, so does 30-34 miles in EV mode on the 8.9kW battery when fully charged, if you don't go up too many hills, turn the heated seats on or accelerate! Quite happy with that, its why I bought a PHEV as most of my daily journeys are within EV range, only occasionally do a long trip to Cornwall - 300 miles - so then still get about 70-80 mpg overall if we charge diligently at each end of the trip. Like any vehicle, your driving style affects the consumption of whatever energy it uses more than anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts