Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
hi
I currently have 2016 rio 1250 and am thinking of upgrading to stonic gt line s mhev manual ,but I can't test drive at the moment and I'm worried about how the mild hybrid is to drive . I need to decide in the next day or so as my car is due mot and service in March and if I am changing car I don't want to do this.. Does anyone have one of these and if so how are they to drive .

Super Moderator
TBH, I do not think you will notice much difference, as the battery is so small it is only there to give a bit more umph when needed.
I guess that MHEV's will be a DCT auto anyway.

Registered
I was looking at the Rio version and atm I have the Rio T-gdi firfst edition, and on paper there is virtually no difference, in performance or torque, so imo I will not be touching a mild hybrid as the cost to benefit is negative,

Super Moderator
I see MHEV as a easy fiddle of the emissions. Not any real benefit to users.
At least the Stonic is coupled to a petrol engine & not a diesel.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
TBH, I do not think you will notice much difference, as the battery is so small it is only there to give a bit more umph when needed.
They do manual and a dct it would be a manual for me

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Trouble is if you want a stonic they are all mhev unless you go for the lowest 2 spec. Also a local mechanic who serviced my rio tells me all new petrol engine cars will be mild hybrids within the next couple of years .So choices will be limited until you go full ev and I'm not brave enough for that yet.

Super Moderator
They do manual and a dct it would be a manual for me
That surprised me...

Having just gone from never driven a auto in 40+ years to one. Loving the DCT.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
That surprised me...

Having just gone from never driven a auto in 40+ years to one. Loving the DCT.
I was a truck driver for 40 years and the last few years trucks started going to autos and I hated the lack of control. I'd like to try the dct in a car but alas no test drives at the moment

Super Moderator
I was a truck driver for 40 years and the last few years trucks started going to autos and I hated the lack of control. I'd like to try the dct in a car but alas no test drives at the moment
I get what you are saying in terms of engine braking. Thankfully my Niro HEV has regen braking which you can adjust with 3 levels (flappy paddles). It's just the same effect, only on 3 it's like hitting the brakes :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I get what you are saying in terms of engine braking. Thankfully my Niro HEV has regen braking which you can adjust with 3 levels (flappy paddles). It's just the same effect, only on 3 it's like hitting the brakes :)
I'm still considering stonic mhev but was concerned about 48 volt batteries life as I assume they will be expensive,so I asked the dealer who assured me they're covered in the 7 year warranty .I can't find the cost of a replacement so I checked on kias website to warranty terms to find 12 and 24 volt batteries covered for 2 years and was surprised to see it states ev batteries 3 years as I assumed all ev batteries were at least 7 years.

Super Moderator
Electric (EV) and Hybrid Vehicles
Kia covers the components of the EV and Hybrid vehicles for unlimited mileage up to 36 months, and for 100,000 miles between 37 and 84 months, from the date of first registration.

This specifically covers the following items not fitted to our standard car range:

Electric Vehicle (EV) System
Electric Motor
Gear Drive Unit
Battery Pack
Electric Power Control Unit (EPCU)
On Board Charger (OBC)

Hybrid Systems (HEV & PHEV)
Battery Pack
Hybrid Starter and Generator
Hybrid Power Control Unit
Auto Transmission & Traction Motor (including housing case, clutch and all internal parts)

Capacity Coverage of the High Voltage Battery Pack for Hybrid/Plug-in Hybrid (HEV/PHEV) and Mild Hybrid (MHEV 48v)
Capacity deterioration coverage is based on on-board diagnostic system information (DTC-Diagnostic trouble code). This HEV/PHEV battery capacity coverage is subject to the exclusions listed under the section 鈥淲hat is not covered鈥.

EV Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery
The Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery warranty covers a minimum capacity for a period is 84 months or 100,000 miles from the date of first registration, whichever comes first. This warranty covers repairs needed to return the battery capacity to at least 70% (65% for cars shipped after 01 August 2019) of the original battery capacity. Where possible, the original EV battery components will be repaired and will be returned to the vehicle. If unrepairable, the EV Battery will be replaced with either a new or remanufactured Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for that info reading on kia's warranty terms and conditions it does state 2 years for 48 volt battery even the salesman was confused by it, if its included in the seven years I will buy the stonic how do you find your stonic for seat comfort buy the way, I can't even sit in one at the moment and I've noticed one or two people complain about seats, I find my rio seats pretty comfortable

Super Moderator
Well I had no problems with the comfort of the set in the 3 years I owned it. Even on the long holiday trips. As good as any I have had.
Mine had heated part cloth seats (much better to me) as they are more comfortable temperature wise than leather.
Biggest issue I had with the stonic was the std tyres Continentals. They lacked grip on set off, I could spin them in the 1st 3 gears TC flashing like mad, and I'm not a lead footed driver.. As you can tell by my MPG.
Changed them @ 6K miles to some bridgestone All weather tyres & it made a massive difference.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Well I had no problems with the comfort of the set in the 3 years I owned it. Even on the long holiday trips. As good as any I have had.
Mine had heated part cloth seats (much better to me) as they are more comfortable temperature wise than leather.
Biggest issue I had with the stonic was the std tyres Continentals. They lacked grip on set off, I could spin them in the 1st 3 gears TC flashing like mad, and I'm not a lead footed driver.. As you can tell by my MPG.
Changed them @ 6K miles to some bridgestone All weather tyres & it made a massive difference.
Thanks ,my rios tyres are the same, not good setting off in the wet going uphill can be a problem and they're terrible in snow ,probably hard compound as they seem to be lasting forever but I'm to tight to change them before they're worn out.

Registered
I am thinking of the Stonic as a possible replacement for my Venga. I appreciate the Venga and Rio are based on the same floor pan but the Venga gives a much higher driving position and the Stonic is based on the Rio. I wonder if anyone has swapped from a Venga to a Stonic and can advise re the driving position compared to the Venga?

David

1 - 15 of 15 Posts