Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all a Stinger 3.3 BO55CLC was stolen from Barnet yesterday it was posted on Facebook it took 4 minutes using a key scanner. I checked my Faraday pouches one with spare never touched both failed 馃槷so please check yours I also have a ccrooklock on mine keys in the microwave now 馃榿

Registered
I was surprised to hear about this. I didn't think the Stinger would be a particular target as I doubt it would be a stolen to order (the likes of Golf Rs would be much more common I'd have thought) plus, with the car being so rare, it won't be easy to sell on surely? Perhaps it was just for a joy ride, although to have all the kit to clone the remote does steer you towards something planned.

I've checked my bags and both still working, but do know that they degrade over time. Hope the car is found.

Registered
Keyless ignition - a solution to a problem that didn't exist
I may be classed as a technology luddite for this post but I genuinely can't see what problem keyless entry / ignition solves. Things like better lighting, braking, safety things like ABS / ESC and auto braking all solve genuine problems with modern day driving.
In my 40 years of driving and having been a commercial driver for some of that I've never once heard anyone say "I wish I could just walk up to my car and get in and push a button to start it"
And the irony with this new fangled technology is to then protect your car you have to use an old fangled technology like a Krooklok (last used by me on my Austin Metro in 1987) or putting your keys in an even older technology like a microwave.
Maybe its just me but some car gizmo's really need a bit more assessment before being introduced (at additional cost)

Registered
Xceed phev
Keyless ignition - a solution to a problem that didn't exist
I may be classed as a technology luddite for this post but I genuinely can't see what problem keyless entry / ignition solves. Things like better lighting, braking, safety things like ABS / ESC and auto braking all solve genuine problems with modern day driving.
In my 40 years of driving and having been a commercial driver for some of that I've never once heard anyone say "I wish I could just walk up to my car and get in and push a button to start it"
And the irony with this new fangled technology is to then protect your car you have to use an old fangled technology like a Krooklok (last used by me on my Austin Metro in 1987) or putting your keys in an even older technology like a microwave.
Maybe its just me but some car gizmo's really need a bit more assessment before being introduced (at additional cost)
I work in primary care and visit up to 15 people in their homes a day and I can tell you it does help. I drive an xceed and thank God for that tech. I believe car manufacturers should improve their tech. Maybe a sensor to deactivate radio when the key is stable after x mins.

Registered
I tend to agree on the key thing - it's not difficult to press an unlock button on a remote, and stick a key in a slot. On balance, I'd probably prefer not to have wireless to gain some security benefit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts