Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
I've said it many times....
Keyless Entry - a solution to a problem that didn't exist.

I'm guessing Sportages are hugely popular at present so reselling becomes attractive for those of a car stealing mind set.

It is ironic that many car websites are now saying use a steering wheel lock,(you know, like we did in the 80's and 90's before immobilisers became a manufacturer thing :) )

·
Registered
548 Posts
Not getting your fob out to do it is the point, you still press a button, albeit on the door.

If I leave football with the key in my trackies which are stuffed in my bag, I don't have to unpack in the rain or remember to fish out my keys. There are plenty of scenarios where it's a massive advantage to have and until I have a car stolen via relay, I'll consider it a huge win.
But, up until recently you did go key hunting and did remember to have it ready, I suspect?
But I'd guess you probably didn't say, "I wish manufacturers would provide a keyless entry facility on run of the mill cars" because you probably thought, "that would be a daft idea as criminals with a car stealing desire would be able to acquire my car more easily"
Hence why I say, Keyless entry fixes a problem that didn't really exist until the manufacturers used their "influence" to tell you it is problem.

Now auto open / close boot for example, many advantages to that especially when shopping with kids, disability issues (I include my wife in this category) and we'd definitely look for this on our next car

Electronic handbrake, again has its uses but hugely complex and expensive when it goes wrong when compared to a handle and a cable which has served us well for over 100 years. I suspect this is related to inbuilt obsolessence I've mentioned in other threads where there is a an electronic gizmo that often will fail at 8 - 10 years and make it uneconomic to repair the car so you look for another (and consequently manufacturers might get a sale)

But I think people forget (especially youngsters) that driving is a privilege and not a right.
To drive safely you should know how to do things like turn headlights on at the right time and not rely on auto headlights, wipers again you should know when to turn them on and not rely on auto wipers. You should be sensibe to not drive when tired so you shouldn't need lane drift assistance or "getting to close" auto braking etc.
And we've all seen the YouTube vids of folks driving into rivers as they blindly follow a sat nav.....whereas a driver shold know that the rather flooded track the sat nav is on about probably isnt a road

I know folks are going to say, many are "safety features" but if you were taught to drive properly you really wouldn't need these things, especially as cars are much better at braking / steering and generally doing what you ask nowadays.

I've been driving various vehicles both 2 and 4 wheeled privately and commercially since the 80's and it is evident that the standard of driving in the UK is much lower than it used to be and I suspect it's down to folks hoping the safety gizmo might save them rather than knowing how to drive correctly and not get in that situation in the first place.

As I said to my daughter when she passed her test, now the real learning begins as the driving instructor simply teaches you to pass the test. Learning to drive, takes a whole lot longer...........

1 - 2 of 2 Posts