Kia Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Think I’ve gone one better than an AirTag
Bought a cheap iPhone with a cracked screen for £30. Insert Payg sim with £5 credit. Wired the phone to a 12 volt supply and hid under dash.
Now I can use find my iPhone and track my car in real-time anywhere in the world. 😀

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
886 Posts
Bought a cheap iPhone with a cracked screen for £30. Insert Payg sim with £5 credit. Wired the phone to a 12 volt supply and hid under dash.
Now I can use find my iPhone and track my car in real-time anywhere in the world. 😀
Great idea, well done 😁

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Hi my Kia Sportage march 2020 cost me 33k just about 5000 miles in the clock, serviced a month ago, was stolen last friday from my doorstep 29.July it took them 1.38 seconds.

To my horror I found out that there has been a huge wave of kia sportages being stolen for even less than 1.38 seconds.....seriously KIA...not sure why as there are out there more stunning cars.....than crappy KIA Sportage.

Just wondering if KIA themselves will start doing something about it and own up this keyless & locking system is crap and easy to override. Maybe they should throw in when selling their cars tracker as they know by know how crappy their keyless system is.

They need to take acknowledge and take responsibility for what they are providing, which is garbage and below average. or maybe are the ones stealing them back from the clients buyers...............AVOID KIA SPORTAGE
Anything is susceptible to scroots and thieves, if they want it they will get it regardless of what it is and what security devices are in situ, and it`s not just KIA as you state, I take it you`re upset because of what happened, it doesn`t mean everyone has to "avoid a KIA Sportage" maybe a bit of research would have prevented it happening, most manufacturers have this problem, it`s a case of trying to stay one step ahead of them!

where was the alleged vehicle stolen from by the way?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
you cracked me up !! well done let's just hope the iphone does blow up, for being continuously charging

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
Mine are in a faraday bag every night.
Just be aware constant use of these bags wears the lining down & they stop working.

So try a test. Put keys in bag, and walk to car & try to open door...

If it opens, time to find another way to screen signals.

·
Registered
On order (17th Feb): 2022 Sportage GT-Line S HEV in Penta Grey with black roof.
271 Posts
I've been using the same Faraday key pouch each night for over 2 years now, and it still works fine. I agree though it pays to test it every few weeks or so just to make sure.

·
Super Moderator
3,800 Posts
Faraday box for me, has enough room for both our king rings with fobs, also test it every few weeks. Works a treat and, being an old codger, we can always find our keys. I am under no illusion if they want the car they can just as easily break into the house and steal the keys.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I did hear you can simply wrap the key up in tin foil, they say works a treat as well

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Just be aware constant use of these bags wears the lining down & they stop working.

My friend BMW keys was in a FARADAY bag and got stolen, it just took alot longer to steal than mine, but they were very persistent and darring as the floodlights kept turning on but that didn't scared them away. They just knew they could take

·
Registered
Kia Sportage GT Line S 2019 (69 plate)
879 Posts

I used to have faraday pouches but as you say, they seem to wear down and just stop working so lots of people I’m sure will think their key is safe but in fact the pouch is no longer doing it’s job.

I found a car key metal tin faraday pouch on Amazon which is just big enough to fit the Sportage key in but you can’t put any other keys in with it. More expensive but continues to work without issue so think in long run will save money as was having to buy those pouches every few months.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Plenty of copper foil etc. on Amazon/Ebay. Most pouches are double skinned. Easy to renew your faraday pouches by inserting some.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts