Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 Stinger GTS has this week been stolen from kerbside outside my house. I still have both keys in their respective Faraday bags in my kitchen, which is perhaps 40 feet from the kerb. Also, there was an Abus steering lock applied. How can thieves make of with a car secured in this way. Could I have done better? I would like to get a direct replacement, but don't see how I can unless something has been done since 2018 to make them more secure. Any advice welcome.

Super Moderator
Not good. :mad:

Any CCTV to show how it was taken? Could have been lifted onto a truck.

As far as Faraday bags go. You need to keep checking that they work. As repeated use can mean that they no longer block the signal.
So if you go that route again. Keep checking by walking up to car with key in bag to ensure that you are not able to open doors (y)

Registered
My 2018 Stinger GTS has this week been stolen from kerbside outside my house. I still have both keys in their respective Faraday bags in my kitchen, which is perhaps 40 feet from the kerb. Also, there was an Abus steering lock applied. How can thieves make of with a car secured in this way. Could I have done better? I would like to get a direct replacement, but don't see how I can unless something has been done since 2018 to make them more secure. Any advice welcome.
Very sorry for your loss. Unfortunately this isn't a Kia or Stinger issue and is no different on later models. It is industry wide and all keyless entry cars are prone to the exact same theft assuming that is how they took it. It is the way almost every car is taken now. I would rather give up keyless entry if it was made an option as it is without a doubt the biggest flaw in every modern car. It is criminal (pardon the pun) how fast and easy it is to steal a modern car.

I can only assume that one of your faraday pouches may have stopped working if there is no sign of broken glass. I never knew this was a thing until I walked up to mine one time and the mirrors opened up while the key was still in the pouch.

Edit - just checked mine and the mirrors popped right out! Just stuck them in a metal tin and back to blocking the signal.

Registered
Sorry to read about this theft. It's one of the reasons I will no longer purchase hot hatches and fast cars. Last one I owned was a Golf R estate mk 7.5 and it brought so much unwanted attention, but I opted for a key!

I keep all keys in a tin in the kitchen cupboard (even for my Sportage) as I believe that is a good way to keep the signal blocked. It's lined with foil and I have discreetly walked around the car numerous times and it's never opened / triggered the wing mirrors.

Perhaps something like that? Ultimately, if they want it, they will take it. Mate of mine had his M3 stolen from his drive. They waited for him to warm it all up, remove the security bollard and then rushed him. For me now, it's just not worth the potential agro.

Super Moderator
I am sorry to hear your car has been stolen. I have absolutely no faith in the Faraday pouches, the fob has to be completely inside and the pouch top closed and sealed. And from my experience a signal can still leak, plus they wear out.
I've gone with a proper Faraday box, which can hold both our fobs and the house keys, and their is still space for at least another fob. The top is a tight fit and can be latched close. I've only had it a few weeks, but with the box right next to the car it won't open. The box has a leather look exterior and a bonus, as we suffer from 'where did I put that', we both know where our keys are.

Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT - sw220211 - map14.47.48.631.401.5
Did you track its last whereabouts with the Kia Connect app? Was it stolen while you were asleep? Do you have a security camera?

Super Moderator
@Banzibarn I have no idea, hopefully somebody with a more recent Stinger will let us know. I do know my March 2020 Sportage hasn't got it, but it is on the Sportage spec from July 2020 onwards.

Registered
I'm with 'toonmal' and his comment in post #9.

If it were me, I'd be happy and eager to furnish all the necessary details about the car so that should any forum member come across the car, it might be recovered.

Reactions: mr.macspot

Super Moderator
It is red, reg eo18 abz, stolen from north london. The police showed no interest in investigating, not for a moment.
So does connect app show any trips since stolen, or the cars location?

Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
The police showed no interest in investigating, not for a moment.
Given the number of ANPR cameras (and other CCTV) around London you would think that car thefts could easily be investigated - at least to the last known location of the car.

If the police and other authorities allowed/did this it may temper the anger of the public over the increased enforcement surveillance of individuals.

Walk down the high street and you can be fined for dropping a piece of paper if seen on the CCTV. Steal a 拢30,000 car and no one bothers!

Registered
I wouldn鈥檛 trust ANY Faraday bag as far as I could throw it. The story鈥檚 of cars being nicked despite their owners keeping their keys in these things are legion.
We stick all our car key鈥檚 in a tin box, which is itself kept in a metal draw in a kitchen unit.
It鈥檚 the manufacturers that have foisted this keyless crap on to the motoring public, so the least they could do is giving us the delete option when ordering the car.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts