Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hopefully you can help. The parking brake has a habit of sticking so I don't tend to use it. However on an300 mile journey today I did, not a lot, just enough for a slight incline. Stopped on the toll road services and left it in gear, no parking brake. When I got back in after reversing out of the space the squeeling from the back wheels was hideous, everyone was staring at us.... I ignored it as its done it before, but once on the road at 60mph we had a very loud rumble and vibration from th back. I tried the usual trick of slowing down, putting the parking brake on and pulling the release a few times, and it did get better. However it keeps sticking, not fully on but enough to get the wheels nice and warm. I have no tools down here, any ideas? If it hadn't freeded off on the M6 toll it would have been a call to the AA. Do they normally stick and is it expensive?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Are both sides sticking or just one? If both then a problem somewhere in the handbrake lever itself or more likely in the cable. If just one side then a strip down of that brake hub and it should be obvious were the problem is - might be a broken spring or just gunged up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's both sides.... Am going to look underneath later but there is not much I can do with no tools. Hopefully the cables are not too much to change. I have rather a long run home in a few days so hopefully the wheels won't get too hot.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Not familiar with the model but on many cars the handbrake cable is somehow split into two cables/linkages to operate each wheel. However that is done on yours have a good look at the "splitter". You could also get some oil on the dipstick and see if you can lube any of the pulleys/levers and cable ends.

I would also consider trying to find a local mechanic with a lift and see if it is something simple.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I can get it back from Oxford to N Wales it will be going in ASAP... I thought it was going to be a breakdown job yesterday. Am going to check underneath later, though its freed off overnight (mostly). I think the pedal parki g brake is a really daft idea. Never want it again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts