Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a diesel Kia Rio VR7 2014 (41000 miles). I started having an issue with the steering wheel. With the car parked, I start the engine, then when trying to maneuver the steering wheel does not let me, it locks or moves by itself producing some noises. Please have a look at the video:

After struggling I can get going, when the car is moving I don't have any problem, it is just when trying to park or when leaving from parked position.

I'd appreciate any help and information whether this is covered under warranty.

Thank you!

·
Registered
79 Posts
It might be the plastic coupling inside the electric motor under the steering wheel,common problem,have a look on YouTube

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would be scared to drive that. If your car is still in warranty then get it to a dealer ASP
Thanks for your reply. I have only driven it twice like that. Today I drove it for the third time, it kind of gets warm and then stops doing it, or just does it at steering full lock, not doing it while driving, it seems like when I'm not moving the power steering struggles more than when moving. I phoned the dealer to know if this was covered under warranty, they told me they had to check and told me they would charge me around £90 (plus VAT) just for checking, if the fix is under warranty then Kia would pay for the checking charge and for the fix but if it is not then I would have to pay the checking charge and then the fixing cost if I decide to do it with them. Do you think that is under warranty?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
The plastic coupling mentioned by Myshu is usually a knock and think it may be the motor not connecting electrically and then it suddenly does.. my youngest has had this on his ix20 and I told him to check if his battery is low on juice.. low battery amps at start maybe his problem because once the motor gets some voltage all is well a low battery can chuck up all sorts of problems as we all know so I told him to keep an eye on it.. here is what happens when the plastic coupler screws up..

·
Banned
5,227 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I have only driven it twice like that. Today I drove it for the third time, it kind of gets warm and then stops doing it, or just does it at steering full lock, not doing it while driving, it seems like when I'm not moving the power steering struggles more than when moving. I phoned the dealer to know if this was covered under warranty, they told me they had to check and told me they would charge me around £90 (plus VAT) just for checking, if the fix is under warranty then Kia would pay for the checking charge and for the fix but if it is not then I would have to pay the checking charge and then the fixing cost if I decide to do it with them. Do you think that is under warranty?
If your warranty is still good then the only way KIA cound decline a warranty repair is if they can show the fault results from mechanical damage or abuse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The plastic coupling mentioned by Myshu is usually a knock and think it may be the motor not connecting electrically and then it suddenly does.. my youngest has had this on his ix20 and I told him to check if his battery is low on juice.. low battery amps at start maybe his problem because once the motor gets some voltage all is well a low battery can chuck up all sorts of problems as we all know so I told him to keep an eye on it.. here is what happens when the plastic coupler screws up..

Thanks for your reply and for the video, there are some in there and was not sure which one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your warranty is still good then the only way KIA cound decline a warranty repair is if they can show the fault results from mechanical damage or abuse.
Ok, yes, it is still under warranty, it runs out on November. Thanks :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts