Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit unfortunate but today my volume switch on steering wheel broke. Two days ago volume up stopped working leaving with turn off and volume down. Now that's gone as well and I've got a wobbly switch doing nothing. A month ago I noticed that volume up went soft but worked, now... :(

A picture to maybe help you understand better:
Car Vehicle Automotive design Grey Motor vehicle

How does one go about fixing the steering wheel switch? Would like to do it myself, unless anything related to airbags, I might have to go to a mechanic or dealer. Don't want to accidentally trigger an airbag and then have to deal with the mess after

·
Registered
500 Posts
Unless there's a screw on the rear it looks like that panel would prise out. Have you looked to see if spares are available? I don't think that it'll be possible to repair the switch but you should be able to swap the panel over.

·
Super Moderator
10,561 Posts
I would ask dealer if they will do it under warranty 1st.

Try KiaPartsDirect.

Ebay has a couple of LH, but not for Picanto. Best guess is they are all the same, but would need to double check part no's.

·
Registered
Santa Fe auto Sorento auto gone. Picanto & i10
5,232 Posts
May not be the switch but the clock spring cable inside the steering wheel broken. The most common thing when any steering wheel switches do not operate. This cable allows you to turn steering so has constant use

·
Registered
500 Posts
May not be the switch but the clock spring cable inside the steering wheel broken. The most common thing when any steering wheel switches do not operate. This cable allows you to turn steering so has constant use
Might be but the OP said the switches had gone soft and if you look at the photo you can see the volume buttons are misaligned.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, exactly what I was looking for and what I feared the most. First thing I have to remove is the airbag...

I'll think about it, maybe change it along with other things when anything else arises. Thanks @iooi for the website but I'll have to look for parts some more. Couldn't find anything relating to what I need that they had.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Video not in English- but I just recalled this thread that should also assist.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why aren't you going to the dealer first? Do you not believe that this will be a warranty item?
My local dealer is Stoneacre and I don't know anyone more incompetent than them. Kia should legit revoke their franchise deal as I'd think twice about buying a new or even used car if I have to go through Stoneacre. They insult you, treat you like an idiot and still expect me to pay £120 an hour...

I will call them and ask merely because I have no other choice but I don't ever want to see them again. I'll go for one more service with them next week (maybe) and then I'll find a private mechanic who can do my services from then on.

·
Registered
2022 Ceed GT line 1.5TGDI - Fusion Orange
578 Posts
OK, so vote with your feet and find another Kia dealer? Or speak to KCS on here too.

More than one way to skin a cat rather than voiding a warranty and paying out for something that potentially should be fixed by Kia

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, so vote with your feet and find another Kia dealer? Or speak to KCS on here too.

More than one way to skin a cat rather than voiding a warranty and paying out for something that potentially should be fixed by Kia
Ok, just called and Stoneacre dealer said it's a £99 charge to check if the part is under warranty + not the cost of replacement part if it's not under warranty.

Looks like I'll have to call some other dealers in an hour's drive from me, see what they say. See if they also want to charge me £99 just to have a look at the broken switch.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'd expect the £99 to be refunded if the part is under warranty. Ultimately they are giving you time to 'investigate' however I think most others have been quoted £75 for investigations (though I could be imagining it).

I've rolled up to a dealership in the past (for a different brand) and asked that they look at something, which they obliged and booked warranty work. I didn't buy the car from them and had no existing relationship, so worth keeping in mind

·
Registered
190 Posts
My local dealer is Stoneacre and I don't know anyone more incompetent than them. Kia should legit revoke their franchise deal as I'd think twice about buying a new or even used car if I have to go through Stoneacre. They insult you, treat you like an idiot and still expect me to pay £120 an hour...

I will call them and ask merely because I have no other choice but I don't ever want to see them again. I'll go for one more service with them next week (maybe) and then I'll find a private mechanic who can do my services from then on.
It's not Stoneacre Lincoln is it? They are truly incompetent on the sales front and tried to shaft me when servicing my Sorento at it's first service. Being on the service plan I expected a free service, not to be called up during the day to be given a list of things that they wanted to do for which I would have to pay. Needless to say, on a 10 month old car they were given short thrift.

I only booked my car into them because my supplying dealer (Evans Halshaw Hull) couldn't get me in before a long trip I was taking and so I would have ended up outside the window for the service.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's not Stoneacre Lincoln is it? They are truly incompetent on the sales front and tried to shaft me when servicing my Sorento at it's first service. Being on the service plan I expected a free service, not to be called up during the day to be given a list of things that they wanted to do for which I would have to pay. Needless to say, on a 10 month old car they were given short thrift.

I only booked my car into them because my supplying dealer (Evans Halshaw Hull) couldn't get me in before a long trip I was taking and so I would have ended up outside the window for the service.
Yes, that exact one. Remember I had to go in for my mandatory dealer service from getting the car new and being first owner, they came to me and asked if I was ok with £140 gas refil for my air conditioning, because if I didn't the part will most likely break soon and costs a £1000 to replace + labour £120 an hour...

And that's just Kia. I also own a Volvo and it just so happens that the local Volvo dealer is also the same Stoneacre. They're even worse. They sold me replacement parts for something that didn't work so next time I came in I was told by the same people I've been installating some fake Chinese parts and haven't been buying OEM parts...

·
Registered
2017 GT Line S 1.6 Petrol AWD
317 Posts
Could try Drayton's Louth. I've just had 4 warranty jobs with no issues.
One service was 6 month late (covid) and one at an independent but I've had no issues with the claims.
Although I did buy the car from there so maybe that helps.

·
Super Moderator
10,561 Posts
Yes, that exact one. Remember I had to go in for my mandatory dealer service from getting the car new and being first owner, they came to me and asked if I was ok with £140 gas refil for my air conditioning, because if I didn't the part will most likely break soon and costs a £1000 to replace + labour £120 an hour...
You can use ANY Kia dealer. Or any independent so long as they are VAT reg & use Kia approved parts. You do need a invoice to back this up listing parts used to cover any warranty issues, when using a independent.

There is NO WAY that A/C would require a refill after one year unless there is a leak & that should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Off -topic I know, but to follow up on dealers, I quite fancy getting a Genesis next tine (especially if they release the all electric GV70 here) and not have to go to a dealer at all.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Its sometimes nice to be able to turn up somewhere and make a fuss, but I understand the sentiment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts