Kia Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
As i said, always try another dealer, but do name the crap one.

Reactions: aircraft

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Just had a short drive of the car and all seems well.

Car went in Tuesday morning 9.00pm. Test drove by mechanic sometime in the afternoon. I gets a call at 16.54pm to say they`ve found the problem and will get it sorted. Now It gets me how quick they have done it? They had the car left with them overnight (Tuesday) to start the job off the following morning. I had a phone call that said morning (Wednesday) at 11.00am, for me to come and collect it as its ready! So, part ordered at teatime Tuesday and delivered overnight, fitted, road tested, cleaned and hoovered out in less than 3hrs as the lads in the workshop dont start until 8.00am. The total bill for the job is £3221.21.

Am I missing something here? as I was told that a part like this is a good 12hrs work to complete and the car could have been with them for a few days. Has it been fitted? I dont know or has it just been lubricated or something loosened off. Any mechanics on here that could shed a bit more light on it??? G.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Car went in Tuesday morning 9.00pm. Test drove by mechanic sometime in the afternoon. I gets a call at 16.54pm to say they`ve found the problem and will get it sorted. Now It gets me how quick they have done it? They had the car left with them overnight (Tuesday) to start the job off the following morning. I had a phone call that said morning (Wednesday) at 11.00am, for me to come and collect it as its ready! So, part ordered at teatime Tuesday and delivered overnight, fitted, road tested, cleaned and hoovered out in less than 3hrs as the lads in the workshop dont start until 8.00am. The total bill for the job is £3221.21.

Am I missing something here? as I was told that a part like this is a good 12hrs work to complete and the car could have been with them for a few days. Has it been fitted? I dont know or has it just been lubricated or something loosened off. Any mechanics on here that could shed a bit more light on it??? G.
Gordon T, I have the same problem on my 2017 Sportage. I have contacted my local dealer and booked the car in to be checked. They inform me that there may be an £80 diagnostics charge, is this correct for a vehicle thats just over a year old. I too have the notchy sticky steering on speeds over 50 mph on the motorway. Any advice would be great as I;m concerned the dealer will say there is nothing wrong and relieve me of £80.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Mine has always felt slightly notchy, some days worse than others.
However recently I've experienced the notchyness when going round bends, and that is slightly disconcerting.
Having to fight the car coming out of a bend isn't a nice feeling.

I've today emailed my dealer to ask for them to investigate.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mine has always felt slightly notchy, some days worse than others.
However recently I've experienced the notchyness when going round bends, and that is slightly disconcerting.
Having to fight the car coming out of a bend isn't a nice feeling.

I've today emailed my dealer to ask for them to investigate.
Keat 99, mine is the same more noticeable on bends, dealer has said there maybe an £80 diagnostics charge if no defect found, surely not??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Mine was/is a mechanical defect so no amount of diagnostics would have found it. There should be no charge on a new car. Thats what the warrantee is for, is it not?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Keat 99, mine is the same more noticeable on bends, dealer has said there maybe an £80 diagnostics charge if no defect found, surely not??

Call Kia Customer services 0333 2022990, and ask if the £80 fee is justified.
They are really helpful and will probably arrange the diagnostics for you.

·
Banned
5,229 Posts
May be a diagnostics charge. If a fault is found then it s a warranty job and no diag charge. If no fault found then you get to pay for their wasted time 'cos KIA won't.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Gordon T

You are saying the cost was £3221.21. I take it that was not to you and it was done under warranty?
If they have come up with a price then I would assume they have gone through the motions of obtaining the part.

I'm not familiar with the Sportage rack but the racks I have changed have not taken that long. Remove plastic " sump guard' A few mounting bolts, disconnect from the steering column and track rod ends and extract.

Are these electric or hydraulic.?I'm thinking electric. In which case a wire to disconnect. Hydraulic 2 unions to undo.

Vehicle on a ramp would make job a whole load easier.

Without going back to your post I think you gave them 3 hours and that's if the part was there at 08.00. Doable.

HOWEVER I haven't done one and can't visualise it in situ.

This is what steering rack should look like : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282859359507

Can you examine? The rack should look factory fresh all along even the steering arms which are subject to a fair bit of exposure to road debris. Does the steering feel better?

·
Registered
104 Posts

When my new steering rack was fitted the car went in the workshop at 12 and was collected about 3pm and I have to say it made a massive difference. Same sort of price range as well

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well its looking like its the right amount in money and time according to the replies. Yes, it was carried out under warranty but the thing is I have a sneaky feeling someone along the line is getting right royally shafted on the price. Even a Jaguar rack AND column change is less than £2k from a main dealer (electrically powered steering also).

·
Registered
435 Posts
In your case Kia are royally shafting themselves. But the figures are academic as they are paying the bill for the parts they are providing plus labour to the dealer.

But you can guarantee they won't be. Because the cost price of the rack will be a lot less than retail. Maybe there are some financial benefits hidden amongst all the figures?

The litmus test is when you walk up to the parts desk and ask them to supply you with said rack and how much??

·
Registered
81 Posts
Update re: my sticky steering on Sportage 1.7 CRDI ISG 2, 2017 model.
Had the car booked into the main dealers today for a road test and diagnostics on the steering issue.
The tech guy test drove my car with me present on some fast A roads at speeds above 50 MPH.
Straight away he could feel the sticky steering issue as if the rack had fallen asleep and needed waking up.
He drove it straight back to the dealers and booked it in for a new rack.
I'm well pleased as I was worried that I would be told the same as others that it's normal.
I can't fault the dealer and their excellent customer service.
I too will update when the work is complete.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Just an update from December. The steering was fixed but unfortunately its started to go back to the way it was. I found this to be totally unacceptable and we have decided to trade the car in. Thanks to all who took the time to look and comment on my post. KIA? No thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Could anyone advise on a problem I may have with my wifes 2016 Sportage? Having only had the car for 3 weeks (bought from Motorpoint) I drove it for the first time this weekend and found that turning the steering wheel to be a bit sticky. Although I find it hard to describe, its as if the wheel sticks until a bit more force than normal is needed to turn it. It doesnt float at all like other cars Ive drove and is a right pain to drive for any distance. After 50 miles my arms were getting tired with it and the wife is a bit reluctant to drive it any distance. Is this normal for this car or is there something wrong with it?
I too have this notchy feel to my steering. Over 60mph on motorway,sticky feel,hops a bit,will keep following a curve in the road if you loosten grip.Not self centering,there is a fault! (40yrs experienced mechanic/MOT tester.I know what I am talking about) Hoping to get it into main dealer,and not be fobbed off.

I have seen that several steering racks have been replaced,and that has cured it.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
447 Posts
I too have this notchy feel to my steering. Over 60mph on motorway,sticky feel,hops a bit,will keep following a curve in the road if you loosten grip.Not self centering,there is a fault! (40yrs experienced mechanic/MOT tester.I know what I am talking about) Hoping to get it into main dealer,and not be fobbed off.

I have seen that several steering racks have been replaced,and that has cured it.
You have replied to a post that's over 2 years old.
The fix is very well documented and does not require a new steering rack - it just needs application of a special grease on the PAS worm gear.

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
265 Posts

Message the kia customer services account on here (named kcs) ask if your car is affected as they have a list of years where the issue occurred. If they say your car is affected, the technical service bulletin reference is KFE19-61-V070-QLe. Kcs can send over the relevant jnfo to your local kia dealership in anticipation of your appointment to get the issue resolved. As I said on another post of yours, mine was in 40 mins and it's been perfect ever since. I beleive the fix involved re greasing part of the steering rack. They would previously replace racks. However the issue has been pinpointed and this fix is now what is offered.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could anyone advise on a problem I may have with my wifes 2016 Sportage? Having only had the car for 3 weeks (bought from Motorpoint) I drove it for the first time this weekend and found that turning the steering wheel to be a bit sticky. Although I find it hard to describe, its as if the wheel sticks until a bit more force than normal is needed to turn it. It doesnt float at all like other cars Ive drove and is a right pain to drive for any distance. After 50 miles my arms were getting tired with it and the wife is a bit reluctant to drive it any distance. Is this normal for this car or is there something wrong with it?
I have the same problem. Was going to get a caravan but steering issue solved that No. I had it in at park's in Bathgate a good 3 years plus ago and no issue found as they only took it out for a short drive. Blames tyres, got new set, no difference. Bought from motorpoint Glasgow x disability car? Stuck in sportsmode maybe but basic model so no change.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts