Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone advise on a problem I may have with my wifes 2016 Sportage? Having only had the car for 3 weeks (bought from Motorpoint) I drove it for the first time this weekend and found that turning the steering wheel to be a bit `sticky`. Although I find it hard to describe, its as if the wheel sticks until a bit more force than normal is needed to turn it. It doesnt `float` at all like other cars Ive drove and is a right pain to drive for any distance. After 50 miles my arms were getting tired with it and the wife is a bit reluctant to drive it any distance. Is this normal for this car or is there something wrong with it?

·
Banned
5,229 Posts
Not normal - threads on here about what sounds like the same problem. Steering should be very light. Search notchy steering.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Worst part is to actually convince dealer there is a problem.I think I,m right in saying I started this thread back in May 2016.Two dealers said there was no problem,one alluded that I was imagining it! never did get it fixed.So best of luck with your case.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I informed my dealer at the first service and explained the symptom's and that my wife was concerned about driving the car.

The dealer replied after the service and attest drive, THEY ARE ALL LIKE THAT! I have never gone back!

·
Registered
833 Posts
I informed my dealer at the first service and explained the symptom's and that my wife was concerned about driving the car.

The dealer replied after the service and attest drive, THEY ARE ALL LIKE THAT! I have never gone back!
Have you taken another one out to compare to yours . Mine has the same thing but I have driven 4 and three were the same not sure on the other one it had its own problems but the electric power steering dose feel different from the old fluid steering have driven other electric power steering cars and they seem the same at the sporty

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine had a steering problem from the day I bought it brand new in September 2016. At speeds above about 50mph I thought it felt like the lane keep assist was still on even thought it was switched off, it was impossible to keep it in a straight line without making constant minor adjustments, motorway journeys were very tiresome ... I still noticed it below 50mph but it wasn't troublesome. At its 2 year service I asked them to check the steering rack as it had been reported here that some were faulty ... they finally decided it was a faulty steering rack and it was replaced at a cost of approximately £3k under warranty. The car is now a different car and a lovely motorway cruiser ... unfortunately it made the new Sportage experience a nightmare for two years

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Reject the car while you can.

I cant unfortunatley.
Anyway, the car went in for a pre booked check on the steering today. I was told that it may take 2 days to sort so I was willing to let them have it for this period of time. Dropped it of at 8.30am this morning only to have a phone call at 10.00am to come and collect the car. Receptionist says they road tested it and coulnt find anything wrong with it. The dealer didnt seem at all interested in the problem of having to keep correcting the steering on a run. Its got to the point that the wife wont drive it now on any runs longer than 5 miles. It is a right pain to have to correct it all the time. Around the doors its ok but on a run its proving to be very tiring. Our friends car is totally the opposite and is a pleasure to drive and not like ours at all.

Where do I go from here? Who do I complain to or is this it? If it is, it will have to go. Im most dissapointed.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi Gordon T
Try another dealer if there is one close enough, other owners have had success with this method.

Reactions: aircraft

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Gordon T
Try another dealer if there is one close enough, other owners have had success with this method.

Thank you. I will try that. a bit disheartening to say the least especially as it comes with a 7 year warranty. Dont know what to do if that one fails. Ive a feeling they are all in cahoots with each other and the no-fault test trial will be logged on the system, all they will be trying to dismiss a warranty claim.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Gordon T

Thank you. I will try that. a bit disheartening to say the least especially as it comes with a 7 year warranty. Dont know what to do if that one fails. Ive a feeling they are all in cahoots with each other and the no-fault test trial will be logged on the system, and they will be trying to dismiss a warranty claim.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I cant unfortunatley.
Anyway, the car went in for a pre booked check on the steering today. I was told that it may take 2 days to sort so I was willing to let them have it for this period of time. Dropped it of at 8.30am this morning only to have a phone call at 10.00am to come and collect the car. Receptionist says they road tested it and coulnt find anything wrong with it. The dealer didnt seem at all interested in the problem of having to keep correcting the steering on a run.

Where do I go from here? Who do I complain to or is this it? If it is, it will have to go. Im most dissapointed.
They are all very good at NOT finding a fault, even when Stevie Wonder could find it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok. Heres the latest in the sticky steering saga.

I had the car in today at another dealer and they found the fault straight away! New steering rack ordered and will be fitted tomorrow and I should have the car back tomorrow night if it all goes well. Just goes to show that the dealers are all different in their diagnosis and conclusion of faults. You can tell who will be getting my business now.

The steering had been consistently poor and sticking since we had it but hopefully with the new rack this will be a thing of the past. I will let you know how it drives when I get it back. G.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Ok. Heres the latest in the sticky steering saga.

I had the car in today at another dealer and they found the fault straight away! New steering rack ordered and will be fitted tomorrow and I should have the car back tomorrow night if it all goes well. Just goes to show that the dealers are all different in their diagnosis and conclusion of faults. You can tell who will be getting my business now.

The steering had been consistently poor and sticking since we had it but hopefully with the new rack this will be a thing of the past. I will let you know how it drives when I get it back. G.
Nice to see that you seem to be moving forward with this.......
Hopefully this will fix it, and you can enjoy the car.
Top marks to the new dealer.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts