Kia Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Key on, so that the steering column lock is disengaged.

Try with the engine off. I believe the electric PAS motor is lower down on the colum meaning that you will be applying more torque by hand to the steering colum universal joint in the colum tilt joint. You may be able to replicate the looseness in that joint.

If no looseness is detectable there, then turn on the engine, and repeat. The PAS motor then may help stress the lower universal joint and replicate the looseness.

Take a look at the steering colum diagram on partsouq. Com, this should help you stress each joint one at a time in a process of elimination, hopefully.

I've not seen in a ceed, but some columns have a removable rubber boot near the pedals, if you want to spend time removing that, just peeling it up, you may be able to observe something, while an assistant moves the steering wheel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ok, may give that a go at some point thanks.

Bit of an interesting development; so I mentioned that when you adjust the steering wheel in and out or up and down it would temporarily tighten up the steering, well I've been able to get it into a position whereby it's permanently much better, still not right, but definitely better. This is good news by itself but it gets better than that.

Since the wheel has been in its current position, a rattle has started. It's within the steering wheel or column area can't quite tell. It happens over certain frequencies of bumps in the road, not necessarily big ones, cats eyes are enough sometimes.

I'd describe it as a dense plasticy type rattle.

I'm going to run it like it is for a bit and try to find somewhere near to my Kia dealer where it will consistently rattle and then re-book it in and see if they can have a good look in there.

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
570 Posts
Alex have you seen this thread? Spotted it when I was idly browsing earlier.

Interesting a service bulletin is mentioned by one poster, KFE19-61-V070-QLe. Not sure of this is relatable to your issue, but might be worth checking out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks gdh. I don’t think it’s quite the same as the problem I have but it could be related. Mine’s more of a looseness than a notchiness. I think one of my previous Cee’ds had something closer to this but it never manifested enough to cause a problem.

My current Cee’d is booked back in to Kia this Friday. The looseness is still there, possibly worse and the rattle within the column area is definitely worse and consistently showing around most roundabouts that don’t have smooth surfaces. There’s one within half a mile of the dealership so I’m going to ask them to focus on solving that and hopefully that will also solve the looseness.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to report that with the cold snap this week, the looseness in the steering has returned.

I can now 100% confirm that the climatic conditions are affecting whatever the problem is, as last week when it was 20 degrees plus, the car has never driven better.

Further to this, during the spell of warmer weather w.c. 29th March when the steering was working well, the car also seemed to accelerate much more easily. Co-incidentally, when on an incline with the cruise control on, the throttle would seem to surge rather than hold steady which would create a forward and back type swaying motion. This wasn’t / isn’t an issue but could it be linked to a looseness in the steering?

I've also been able to verify that doing any one of the following will seem to exercise the looseness in the steering and temporarily (15 mins) tighten it up:
  • Turning the steering wheel from full lock one way to full lock the other
  • Adjusting the steering wheel either up or down or in or out
  • Taking a corner faster than you need to in order to put more forces through the car
These traits I think have been present throughout my time with the car but I have been able to verify them in the last few weeks.

Any further ideas guys? At the moment, I'm going to have to book it back in.
I'm not sure if it is this but I had a problem with my Kia Cee'd for a while, there was a noise that was coming from the driver's side (front tyre) and I had no idea what it was. I left it for a while thinking it was because of the brand of tyre I had got back in November, it was around the same time the noise started. It got progressively louder and I only recently got it checked out. Turns out it was the wheel bearing which may effect the car greater with cooler and wetter weather (cars are really out of my league so I'm only guessing). It wasn't overly expensive to get fixed and the noise has gone completely. Might be too obvious an answer but hopefully you get it sorted. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks James. I have wondered about a problem with one of the wheel bearings but the garages have said that they’re ok. I am keeping an eye on it though as some of the symptoms I’m getting would suggest that a bearing is a bit dodgy.

When it went in on Friday,Kia traced the rattle to a problem with the brake medal mount. They’ve said that they’ve sorted that out and apparently this mount is adjacent to the steering ECU. I’ve had a look and there is a small box of electronics there but I’d be surprised if it was being affected. I’m pretty sure that the rattle is gone but we’ll have to wait for a proper test this week when I’m back on the motorway again to see if the steering is any better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Rattle is indeed gone but steering is still acting up. Next step will be a more stern call with the dealer.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts