Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that I have never been in first so many times on steep hills the cars is OK on most hills but I find if its steep I end up in first.I have now done over 5K so the engine should be run in by now but I find you have to rev the guts out of the engine in second to over come even ordinary hills has anyone else found this.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
You dont say what engine you have. But on todays modern engines with their tight tolerances, i wouldnt expect an engine to give its best and be fully run in until 25k and probably more. They reckon VW engines dont give their best until 70k.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its the petrol 1.6 I don't know about 25k to run the engine in that seems a lot to me.My Soul run out of puff easily on Hills it seems you have to really give the engine a good kicking to get it to perform on hills as I say I never been in first so much on steep hills.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i once watched a programme about modern engine building and the superb tolerances they now work to.....and watching the valves slide into place slowly under their own weight purely by their own natural hydraulic action due to friction was incredible.....if it takes a VW engine 70 k to run in......a KIA one wont be far behind. I borrowed a Creato with 56k on the clock recently and it was super smooth and super quiet.

As far as the Soul goes......its a fat heavy car (heavier than a SPAM i believe)...and if its like the Diesel its very highly geared. Which will reduce its flexibility and force you into the lower gears.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I moved from a diesel C`eed to a petrol Soul and it took me a while to get my petrol head back on!. The trick is not to let the revs fall back too low on steep hills, change down early and give it plenty of wellie!!. I`m on almost 13k miles and the pulling power is getting better and this week I averaged 41 mpg which is the best yet.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
My Seat is petrol and i too am missing the diesel Tempest pull, as you say - change down early and let the engine rev a bit......which is totally alien to diesel driving....and 41mpg on a petrol soul is pretty damn good in my book, well done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts