Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the morning when I start my diesel Rio after about 15 seconds the engine cuts out. Sometimes it will start up fairly quickly and is ok for the rest of the day but today it just would not start. I disconnected my diesel chip box thinking it may be this but it still would not start. I thought it might be air in fuel line so I opened the air bleed screw on the fuel filter head and primed the filter. I cranked engine over and it started fairly quickly and it was ok all day with about 7 start ups.

I had alook at all fuel line connections both at tank and filter end and all were tight with no leaks. I unscrewed the water sensor at bottom of filter and I noticed that the threads had been crossed and some were stripped. This was obviously done by Kia mechanic at last service at 20K when they changed fuel filter. Not having a spare one I wrapped the threads with PTFE tape and screwed it back on. Fitted filter assembly back on car and primed filter. The car started ok with a couple of hic-ups as normal when changing fuel filter. I had a look on the Microcat site for a part number for the water sensor and it does not list it seperately.
Anyone know if this part is available on its own.

I will try a cold start in the morning and see if I have temporarily fixed it.

Has anyone has this problem on their Rio Diesel.

Davy

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well it started and did not cut out this morning. So it looks like it was the water sensor not sealing correctly. I went down to my Kia dealer and explained the problem with them and they are replacing the water sensor free of charge even tho' the car is 4 month out of warranty.I have only driven 3500miles since I bought the car second hand from them back in March 09. The part only costs £7 anyway and I wouldn't be annoyed if I had to pay for it myself.
I think that was very good of them to do that and it keeps a good customer/dealer relationship.
Edited by: davy

·
Registered
662 Posts
praise where its due give them a shout on the site i am sure others would like to know who are the good dealers and conversly who stink

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer in question is Pheonix Kia Linwood near Paisley, Scotland.I cant praise them enough a great sales team and service department. The parts dept are also very helpfull.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The water sensor I was given turns out to be the wrong one. The threads are a bigger diameter than mine. Obviously that one was for another model type and not a Rio. It turns out there is no part number for the Rio diesel water sensor and the parts diagramme lists the whole diesel filter assembly only.
Service dept is contacting Kia about this and they will get back to me.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Kia dealer phoned me friday to say the water sensor had arrived and it was the correct one.
There was a problem with the part number for the sensor that fits the Rio and this had to be dealt with Kia europe. All is well now.

I cant thank PHOENIX KIA in Linwood, Renfrewshire especially the parts dept enoughfor thereeffort in handling this problem. I was phoned on a weekly basis on the progress of the search for the correct sensor.

A superb service.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I am glad the customer support was there when needed (Some other well known brands are not that helpful).

Hope the problem gets fixed quickly for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts