Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Just wondering if anyone has the same problem as me?
I have a 59 plate Kia Pro Ceed and intermittently it wont start. Turns over but just wont fire. Its been an ongoing problem for a while - doesn't happen every day but when it does can take up to 30 mins to get started. Its been into a Kia garage 3 times but typically when it goes in it doesn't do it. They think its a problem with my keys not talking to my immobilizer correctly so have reset my keys twice but it continues to do it so Im not convinced this is the case!!!
Does anyone else have this problem and if so did you get it resolved?

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
All Kia's have a problem with the coil that goes round the ignition barrel. When you turn on the ignition does the immobiliser light come on every time? If it doesn't then this is your problem. I'm surprised that a Kia dealer hasn't at least tested this. The coil tells the immobiliser to switch off and let the car start. It is the black ring marked ign and acc where you put the key and is easy to fit and cheap to buy (about£40). Your keys will not need to be reprogrammed when it is fitted

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks - I shall have a look!
When I took it into Kia the last time I said we thought it was something to do with the immobaliser. But they insisted it was the keys not talking to the immobalizer, so yes, you would think they would have checked the issue you mention!
Thank you, we will check this!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem a couple of days ago with my 2005 Cerato. It was parked up for a couple of weeks while I was on holiday. It started immediately, and drove normally for about 5 miles, then just stopped. The immobilizer light stayed on while I was cranking the starter. Suspecting the chip-reader antenna I took the steering column shroud off, disconnected the wiring plug, then, just on the off-chance plugged it back in. I turned the key, the light went out, and we completed the five-hour drive home with no further drama.
So if your immobilizer plays up, check the plug on the steering column first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had an issue with my 2010 Cee'd Pro 1.6 CRDI a few weeks ago, parked it facing uphill, when I got back in, it would turn over but not start, or would almost start then cut out again, then I remembered I had put cheap Morrisons Diesel in on the last fill up, (I managed to start it in gear BTW)

So I went to Shell garage and used V-Power Diesel, have used it ever since, and never had the issue again

Not saying that's the cause 100% but after using quaility fuel, it has not happened again :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Percymama said:
I had an issue with my 2010 Cee'd Pro 1.6 CRDI a few weeks ago, parked it facing uphill, when I got back in, it would turn over but not start, or would almost start then cut out again, then I remembered I had put cheap Morrisons Diesel in on the last fill up, (I managed to start it in gear BTW)

So I went to Shell garage and used V-Power Diesel, have used it ever since, and never had the issue again

Not saying that's the cause 100% but after using quaility fuel, it has not happened again :)
Our fleet Hyundai IX35 1.7crdi (same engine as Kia) broke down one day.
The AA man's first question was "do you use supermarket fuel"
The answer was yes, Morrisons.
Once the fuel filter was changed and the driver started using Shell/Esso diesel, end of problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd like to know whether the coil was the issue, as I have had the same problem happen to me this morning. I suspect it is the immobilser not disarming as the engine cranks as normal but just doesn't fire or even attempt to. Thanks in advance if you can confirm, but at least I've got something to check tonight

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
Our fleet Hyundai IX35 1.7crdi (same engine as Kia) broke down one day.
The AA man's first question was "do you use supermarket fuel"
The answer was yes, Morrisons.
Once the fuel filter was changed and the driver started using Shell/Esso diesel, end of problem.
Odds on it was just the fuel filter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!

Just wondering if anyone has the same problem as me?
I have a 59 plate Kia Pro Ceed and intermittently it wont start. Turns over but just wont fire. Its been an ongoing problem for a while - doesn't happen every day but when it does can take up to 30 mins to get started. Its been into a Kia garage 3 times but typically when it goes in it doesn't do it. They think its a problem with my keys not talking to my immobilizer correctly so have reset my keys twice but it continues to do it so Im not convinced this is the case!!!
Does anyone else have this problem and if so did you get it resolved?
Hi

If it's been a hot day and I try to start my car it won't. It's not the key or the battery. On 6 occasions it didn't start. On 3 occasions it took over 10 minutes to start.
It's embarrassing. My car is under warranty and have taken it to the dealerships. It will cost 79 pounds for a diagnostic if it's not under warranty.
I have Kia Ceed 2014.

So embarrassed by this issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts