Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2004 Kia Sorrento. Won't start in the mornings. After its stood all night I have to manually pump the diesel plunger a few times then spray easy start into the air intake then it will start. Once started runs beautiful and for the rest of the day will turn off and restart as many times as you like no problems. Had all four glow plugs replaced before Xmas.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Could be glow plugs. If you can get to them they should be very low resistance 1 ohm or thereabouts (maybe less I'm not sure). Or try removing them and hooking them up to 12 volts and see if they glow.
If not the glow plugs then it could be a slight leak in the fuel system allowing air in. I'd expect that to be happening with the engine warm as well though. Someone with more knowledge will be along soon I expect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be glow plugs. If you can get to them they should be very low resistance 1 ohm or thereabouts (maybe less I'm not sure). Or try removing them and hooking them up to 12 volts and see if they glow.
If not the glow plugs then it could be a slight leak in the fuel system allowing air in. I'd expect that to be happening with the engine warm as well though. Someone with more knowledge will be along soon I expect.
Hi...... Glow plugs were replaced before Christmas....

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Why were the glow plugs replaced?

Will it start without pumping the primer, just EZ start? Suspect a fuel pressure problem (HP or LP pump) or air leak into the fuel line.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A mechanic replaced the glow plugs because of the starting problem. He said it was glow plugs so replaced them(£130) and it still wouldn't start. Diesel has to be pumped...... Easy start alone don't start it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just out of interest, do other mk1 owners turn on the ignition and don't turn the key to 'start' until the glowplug light on the dash goes out? I've found that mine doesn't start as easily if I just try to start straight away.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Just out of interest, do other mk1 owners turn on the ignition and don't turn the key to 'start' until the glowplug light on the dash goes out? I've found that mine doesn't start as easily if I just try to start straight away.
That is the correct procedure.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
A mechanic replaced the glow plugs because of the starting problem. He said it was glow plugs so replaced them(£130) and it still wouldn't start. Diesel has to be pumped...... Easy start alone don't start it.
Remove that mechanic from your Christmas card list.

So definitely a fuelling issue - fuel pump or air leak. Will need diagnostic equipment to move it forwards, but you could try replacing the fuel filter - bit of a shot in the dark though..

·
Registered
582 Posts
the fuel filter element is on the righthand side ,low down...I find it easier to change from underneath...I always fill the new filter with clean diesel before fitting...don't over tighten.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why were the glow plugs replaced?

Will it start without pumping the primer, just EZ start? Suspect a fuel pressure problem (HP or LP pump) or air leak into the fuel line.
Actually I have now tried and it doesn't need to be primed. It will start with a short blast of EZ start.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts