Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my 2.9cdri (54 plate auto) kia is not starting at the moment. i went to it the other night and turned the key and nothing happened however when i turned it the 2nd time it started absolutly fine. i've gone to it the following day and when i turn the key i just get 1 click from the starter motor (presume it's the solenoid??)and that's it. i've currently got the battery on charge (off the car) as that is my first suspect as it's only been used for very short journey's recently and therefore not had much charge however I am suspecting that this may have somethign to do with the starter motor? the battery light on the dash does come on faintly when i turn the ignition but can't remember if it always does that or not?

any suggestions? i'm also going to try and find the workshop manual to download as no doubt i'm going to have to get the spanners out tonight when i get home

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i've done done some digging and they do a service kit for the starter motor on ebay for about £14. has anybody tried this? i am going to take the starter off tonight and hoping maybe it's just the contacts etc

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi, Just had a look on fleabay and the kit is a repair to the solenoid and depends on which model you have fitted. It sounds like the solenoid but could be your battery or something as simple as an earth strap from the chasis to the engine being corroded or even broken. Not sure where it is on your vehicle but most have them. I would start with the batter, followed by earthing check and then replace solenoid or if unlucky the motor. Might be woth contacting the Ebay man for advice - sounds as though he know his business. Good luck!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sorry should have added if the ignition light is only coming on faintly it would point to your battery or earth - if its on faintly it could be your alternator not putting enough juice back into the battery!

·
Registered
192 Posts
id have a look at the earth first then the starter you say you only use it for short journeys could be thats the prob ,either a knackered battery or the stop start damage done to the starter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well it turns out it was the contacts in the starter motor itself, they are pretty worn down, pitted and coverd in cr*p. so cleaned them up and adjusted and works fine now. i'll order the kit off ebay i think. cheers for the help

·
Registered
422 Posts
Great - nice when its something simple - are they the normal spring loaded carbon bushes? The bloke on Ebay may be able to supply them, they shouldn't be too expensive.It sounds like the solenoid is ok

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there is just two copper contact plates and spring loaded plunger - quite suprised how simple if was and didn't take long to whip it off either

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well if its ok now I would run it and see how it goes - probably nothing wrong with the solenoid !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts