Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, in my kia ceed 2013 my start stop hasnt been working for ages now since September 2019, when i stop it just says auto stop deactivated. I do alot of miles a day around 70 miles on the motorway. My family also has a 2017 ceed exactly the same model of engine 1.6 petrol and a higher trim level with more power consuming infotainment and they travel less miles than me in the week and their start stop works mostly all the time and if it does not work on their kia it says autostop conditions not met whereas mine just says deactivated? Kia said the battery might need to be charged and they recommend i buy a trickle charger or i pay them £20 to charge it but I brought a trickle charger from halfords and the battery appeared to be charged within 5 minutes, so somethings not right. But they said the battery appears to be in good health, it has no trouble starting the car, odd.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you do a search for stop/start you will find there are dozens of discussions about this function, especially how it doesn't work consistently. My previous Vauxhall had it and it worked for the first year, then ceased to function. Dealer did all sorts of investigations, but it is dependent on so many different parameters, they never got to bottom of it. Frankly I gave up worrying about it and it didn't make any difference to the cars economy. My Sportage, thankfully, doesn't have it.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
In a similar vein to 'mr.macspot', I'm delighted to say that that function on my Optima hasn't worked for many months. While I appreciate the reasons behind its adoption, it really doesn't work too well with diesel engined-cars, probably because they require a bit more energy to turn over than a petrol engine due to the much higher compression ratio.

When it does tend to work, around midsummer's day:rolleyes:, I immediately turn it off as it's more of a nuisance when it decides to operate unexpectedly. If it were consistent, that would be ok - I like consistency!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, mines a petrol, sounds like its all very temperamental on all these cars. The times it did work it sometimes wouldn’t auto start when i put my foot down on the clutch it just used to flash the auto stop light at me, subsequently causing a scene at the traffic lights.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts