Kia Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Did they top it up or just charge it.
The service manager told me that the ISG is charged by an element inside the battery. He was sure that after trickle charging the battery overnight this element would be charged again and the ISG would work. It doesn't. So he said I need a new battery , which I am not going to pay €300 at KIA for the ISG to work. What puzzles me is that I have no problem with the battery but this element inside is apparently broken.

·
Registered
817 Posts
The service manager told me that the ISG is charged by an element inside the battery. He was sure that after trickle charging the battery overnight this element would be charged again and the ISG would work.
I bet the element in the battery is unobtainium!

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,413 Posts
Let me see if I have all the facts.
The car is working perfectly well, except the ISG stop/start doesn't work. The dealer has stated it's an issue with an element in the battery (???) and to cure the problem they will replace the battery for £300.
Difficult choice, keep using the car as it is and don't worry about the ISG, keeping £300 in my pocket. Or lash out £300 and hope the dealer isn't telling fairy stories. Call me an 'old sceptic', but I know which way I would go.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Let me see if I have all the facts.
The car is working perfectly well, except the ISG stop/start doesn't work. The dealer has stated it's an issue with an element in the battery (???) and to cure the problem they will replace the battery for £300.
Difficult choice, keep using the car as it is and don't worry about the ISG, keeping £300 in my pocket. Or lash out £300 and hope the dealer isn't telling fairy stories. Call me an 'old sceptic', but I know which way I would go.
The service manager said the same. Keep the money and don't worry about the ISG, he said. I would consider that a 'design flaw' in an otherwise reliable car...

·
Super Moderator
4,240 Posts
Pretty sure that the batteries only charge to 85% via alternator. The last and most important bit as far as ISG goes, is only charged by over run. So if you never lift and use engine braking, then it is possible it will not work.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mine hasn't worked since last summer! I just did a 66 mile run so I assume the battery would of been at an adequate level of charge and still no stop/go

·
Registered
817 Posts
Pretty sure that the batteries only charge to 85% via alternator. The last and most important bit as far as ISG goes, is only charged by over run. So if you never lift and use engine braking, then it is possible it will not work.
Ahhh - so 15% of the battery is made of that evasive element unobtanium :)

You may be correct however but I would hope that on a long run the alternator should be able to get the battery up to 100% - or are alternators now so finely designed that there is not enough output to fully charge the battery and run the car? I'm an old school driver so am always using engine braking when appropriate.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,413 Posts

You may be correct however but I would hope that on a long run the alternator should be able to get the battery up to 100% - or are alternators now so finely designed that there is not enough output to fully charge the battery and run the car? I'm an old school driver so am always using engine braking when appropriate.
It gets worse. Not only am I an 'old school' driver who uses engine braking to slow the car, I also have the advantage of 48 extra volts in the boot - and ISG still doesn't work. I think those extra volts must be the wrong shape.

PS Guys please don't lecture me on what the extra battery is for, I've read the manual. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
Long time since I posted in the forum.. I have a 2016 Sportage and the start / stop doesn't work. I took the car to the dealer and he wanted the car overnight to trickle recharge the battery as the start/stop is affected if the battery charge is low.
There is nothing wrong with the car battery by the way and I do motorway driving mainly. Never had any problem starting the car.
So, battery charged but start / stop still doesn't work. Dealer says I need a new battery that costs €300 and battery is out of warranty ( 2 years, car is 5 years old).
My question is this; Is the dealer trying to fob me off? How come and the car starts without any problems , even in cold weather, and the battery cannot keep up with the start / stop system function?
Have you had similar expeThe
Hi all,
Long time since I posted in the forum.. I have a 2016 Sportage and the start / stop doesn't work. I took the car to the dealer and he wanted the car overnight to trickle recharge the battery as the start/stop is affected if the battery charge is low.
There is nothing wrong with the car battery by the way and I do motorway driving mainly. Never had any problem starting the car.
So, battery charged but start / stop still doesn't work. Dealer says I need a new battery that costs €300 and battery is out of warranty ( 2 years, car is 5 years old).
My question is this; Is the dealer trying to fob me off? How come and the car starts without any problems , even in cold weather, and the battery cannot keep up with the start / stop system function?
Have you had similar experience?
After five years the battery will be on the way out but £300 for a stop start battery is way over the top,,I also have a diesel Alfa Romeo with stop start you know what there prices are like £175 Alfa battery dealer fitted and thats for a Two litre diesel.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts

The charging system is controlled so that it will only charge the battery above (whatever the actual number is - reports very but somewhere 75% - 85%). Modern alternators are far superior but no matter how long the run is it will not charge the battery further except when the engine is overrunning. There is nothing special about the battery - this is all achieved in the charging control sytem.

·
Registered
817 Posts
The charging system is controlled so that it will only charge the battery above (whatever the actual number is - reports very but somewhere 75% - 85%). Modern alternators are far superior but no matter how long the run is it will not charge the battery further except when the engine is overrunning. There is nothing special about the battery - this is all achieved in the charging control sytem.
My tongue was in my cheek about the unobtanium in the battery based on the OP post about the service manager - not sure I understand why overrunning will cause the charge top up if the alternator wont under normal running. but it mattereth not - I think many here are resigned to the fact that ISG is a 'novelty' and of little concern in normal driving.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My tongue was in my cheek about the unobtanium in the battery based on the OP post about the service manager - not sure I understand why overrunning will cause the charge top up if the alternator wont under normal running. but it mattereth not - I think many here are resigned to the fact that ISG is a 'novelty' and of little concern in normal driving.
It charges in overrunning because it is free energy that would otherwise be wasted.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts