Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Long time since I posted in the forum.. I have a 2016 Sportage and the start / stop doesn't work. I took the car to the dealer and he wanted the car overnight to trickle recharge the battery as the start/stop is affected if the battery charge is low.
There is nothing wrong with the car battery by the way and I do motorway driving mainly. Never had any problem starting the car.
So, battery charged but start / stop still doesn't work. Dealer says I need a new battery that costs €300 and battery is out of warranty ( 2 years, car is 5 years old).
My question is this; Is the dealer trying to fob me off? How come and the car starts without any problems , even in cold weather, and the battery cannot keep up with the start / stop system function?
Have you had similar experience?

·
Super Moderator
4,312 Posts
Petrol or diesel?

Starting & the stop/start working are different things.
Stop/Start relies on a few things being in the correct range.
EG. Run with A/C fan on high speed & it will not work, turn it down to low and it will.

Personally if car is starting OK, and you are not bothered about stop/start working. I would not bother about a new battery. Also remember that you maybe able to source cheaper than dealer.
Stop/start is not exactly going to save much cost wise & would take a long time to pay back that new battery....

Reactions: CyprusGrump

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
552 Posts
Nothing really to add to iooi's post; everything I have read on this forum by those (cursed?) with Stop/Start suggests the number of parameters that need to be right coincide so rarely it is a waste of time. It shows how it really it is more about labs tests for official results, rather than real world driving.

On a side note, makes you slow away from the traffic lights too... ;)

Reactions: Yannis

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Have you had similar experience?
At 5 years old, the battery won't be quite as healthy as it was a few years before. The trickle charge clearly made no difference from what you say but the battery might benefit from a conditioning charge from a modern 'smart' charger such as the CTEK MXS 5 model.

Although my Optima battery was performing ok until recently, it began to let me down on a few occasions during the last really cold spell. I used a little jump-start gadget successfully on those occasions but after making a few electrical checks, I bit the bullet and splashed out on a replacement battery (Bosch - 5 year warranty) and all was well again, so much so that my stop/start began to work again after 2 years+ when it only kicked in on a very rare occasion.

I guess your Sportage has an AGM battery like mine and they behave differently from the old lead-acid batteries when they begin to fail - all may be well one day then just a display of flashing lights and some clicking the next day. Lead-acid types tend to crank the engine slower and slower - sometimes the engine would start; sometimes not.

If your battery is 5 years old, then perhaps you ought to consider replacing it. You should not have to pay £300 however unless prices in your country are far more expensive than the UK. It's a simple job to change the battery yourself so no need to pay a garage for their time. If you are unfamiliar with electro-mechanical things, you will probably find some help online.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Petrol or diesel?

Starting & the stop/start working are different things.
Stop/Start relies on a few things being in the correct range.
EG. Run with A/C fan on high speed & it will not work, turn it down to low and it will.

Personally if car is starting OK, and you are not bothered about stop/start working. I would not bother about a new battery. Also remember that you maybe able to source cheaper than dealer.
Stop/start is not exactly going to save much cost wise & would take a long time to pay back that new battery....
Diesel. It doesn't work no matter what. It used to. I agree it doesn't save much fuel and I am not going to pay €300 for a new battery nor change a fully working one. It's just annoying that one of the car's features doesn't work

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At 5 years old, the battery won't be quite as healthy as it was a few years before. The trickle charge clearly made no difference from what you say but the battery might benefit from a conditioning charge from a modern 'smart' charger such as the CTEK MXS 5 model.

Although my Optima battery was performing ok until recently, it began to let me down on a few occasions during the last really cold spell. I used a little jump-start gadget successfully on those occasions but after making a few electrical checks, I bit the bullet and splashed out on a replacement battery (Bosch - 5 year warranty) and all was well again, so much so that my stop/start began to work again after 2 years+ when it only kicked in on a very rare occasion.

I guess your Sportage has an AGM battery like mine and they behave differently from the old lead-acid batteries when they begin to fail - all may be well one day then just a display of flashing lights and some clicking the next day. Lead-acid types tend to crank the engine slower and slower - sometimes the engine would start; sometimes not.

If your battery is 5 years old, then perhaps you ought to consider replacing it. You should not have to pay £300 however unless prices in your country are far more expensive than the UK. It's a simple job to change the battery yourself so no need to pay a garage for their time. If you are unfamiliar with electro-mechanical things, you will probably find some help online.
Thanks for your reply. I live in Ireland and that's the price from the KIA dealer. I am sure I can get a Bosch cheaper and the price will include fitting.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,435 Posts
Diesel. It doesn't work no matter what. It used to. I agree it doesn't save much fuel and I am not going to pay €300 for a new battery nor change a fully working one. It's just annoying that one of the car's features doesn't work
If your car is starting okay stick with the battery you have. Don't bother chasing the ISG, it is a pointless excercise. I understand that on petrol cars it is more consistent, but on diesels not so much.
I've had ISG on three different diesels, two Vauxhall's and my current Sportage and, from my experience, it is a complete an utter waste of time. On both the Vauxhall's it worked for the first few months and then disappeared and, as there was no fault with either car, the dealer couldn't fix it. The Sportage I think it may have worked a couple of times last summer, but otherwise nothing. Personally I would enjoy your car as it is.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If won't work if the DPF is doing a regen
The stop Start is a con anyway, its just a way the manufacturer get around the emissions requirements, they dont save fuel

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I live in Ireland
It's a little confusing when someone displays a German flag next to the 'Registered' position under the username, posts in the forum and declares an Irish domicile. :unsure:

However, either way in your case, you are, like me, still a citizen of the EU if you hold either passport.(y)😀. Of course, you may be a national of the UK or indeed anywhere, simply domiciled in another country.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a little confusing when someone displays a German flag next to the 'Registered' position under the username, posts in the forum and declares an Irish domicile. :unsure:

However, either way in your case, you are, like me, still a citizen of the EU if you hold either passport.(y)😀. Of course, you may be a national of the UK or indeed anywhere, simply domiciled in another country.
The German flag is displayed as when I logged in I was using work's VPN via Germany 😄. I have Greek and UK passports ( although my UK one is missing the 'European Union' - my daughter got her new Blue passport last month)... and I live in Ireland ( tempted to get Irish but it costs €900 ;) -)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The German flag is displayed as when I logged in I was using work's VPN via Germany 😄. I have Greek and UK passports ( although my UK one is missing the 'European Union' - my daughter got her new Blue passport last month)... and I live in Ireland ( tempted to get Irish but it costs €900 ;) -)
Now you see the Greek flag as I am in Athens

·
Registered
694 Posts
I replaced my battery in Jan this year. ISG kicks in most every time I stop with handbrake applied and out of gear even after a journey of a mile or so, engine temp not even registering and cold mornings. I can only remember it working 1/2 dozen times in the previous 4 years I have had it from new.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,435 Posts
I replaced my battery in Jan this year. ISG kicks in most every time I stop with handbrake applied and out of gear even after a journey of a mile or so, engine temp not even registering and cold mornings. I can only remember it working 1/2 dozen times in the previous 4 years I have had it from new.
Out of interest, which fuel diesel or petrol?

·
Registered
2018 sportage 4 1.6tdci
16 Posts
Mines completely random.. It has days and days where it will work fine, and then suddenly it won't. I'm not sure what parameters it looks at, but when it does and doesn't work they seem to be the same. I've got a 2018 1.6 diesel 130bhp. 4 trim.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I think it has been well-established from various queries previously about the ISS system that petrol models with their much lower compression ratio produce much more consistent results than the diesels.

When mine stopped working a couple of years ago, I wasn't in the least troubled as I used to switch off the function anyway as I found it a damned nuisance. The technology is of such limited value in any case that it isn't worth losing any sleep over.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
It's not a good system to be honest, and relies on many factors for it to work, one of which is indeed battery condition.
My first Sportage had ISG, which worked in a fashion for 3 years, then only worked very occasionally. Eventually giving up all together at about 4 years old.

The battery is an AGM battery, where it's suggested can't be topped up.

Well I took the risk and topped it up. What did I have to lose ??
A battery which was on it's way out anyway.

After topping it up, I put it on charge over night, and the very next day ISG started working again.
I kept the car for at least another 6 months after this and had no issues with either the battery or the ISG.
Before buying a new battery, I'd suggest trying to top it up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Other reasons why the Stop start system may not activate
  • A seat belt is unfastened
  • The Bonnet, rear hatch or a door is opened
  • Batter condition is poor
  • The front or rear defroster is on
  • Engine coolant temperature is too low or too high
  • Emission control devices activated
  • The vehicle is stopped on a slope

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's not a good system to be honest, and relies on many factors for it to work, one of which is indeed battery condition.
My first Sportage had ISG, which worked in a fashion for 3 years, then only worked very occasionally. Eventually giving up all together at about 4 years old.

The battery is an AGM battery, where it's suggested can't be topped up.

Well I took the risk and topped it up. What did I have to lose ??
A battery which was on it's way out anyway.

After topping it up, I put it on charge over night, and the very next day ISG started working again.
I kept the car for at least another 6 months after this and had no issues with either the battery or the ISG.
Before buying a new battery, I'd suggest trying to top it up.
The garage did that but still ISG don't work... When I take it for other work I'll ask them to trickle charge the battery again.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts