Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Currently shopping for a new SUV/Crossover, and have pretty much settled on the Sportage - we test drove one at the weekend and were VERY impressed with it versus the competition.I'm currently looking at a fully loaded 2.0CRDIAWD in Arctic White (heart) or Gunmetal Grey (head).

Quick question:The sister car, the ix35, and the American version of the Sportage have a engine stop/start button... I cannot seem to find this as an option on the UK Sportage. Am I going bonkers, or does the option not feature on current models?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
64 Posts
I believe that it is a feature of all models. Maybe the lowest version doesn't have it though, worth checking the website

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - not seen it on UK models yet and I'm pretty sure that the one I went out in was the KX-3... It's not on the website - that was the first place I checked.

Also - has anybody had any experience getting in to the computer system for the Sat Nav? It seems that the Sat Nav included is somewhat substandard - I would be interested in finding out if a custom OS can be loaded onto the hardware - I've got a development copy of Windows 8 just itching to be loaded on to replace the already-installed Windows CE.

Can't wait to get my order in - I just hope my delivery wait isn't too long!

Edited by: mkten

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I've not seen a push button start on any of the UK Sportages I've driven or looked at in showrooms.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Paul, I think you misunderstood; I'm talking about a push button to start the engine without using the key... It's a great safety feature, not to mention an incredibly cool gadget.

I find it odd that Kia seem to have omitted it from their UK models.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ah that's different, I thought you were talking about the shut engine while on traffic thing.

No no engine start button on the Sportages. and I'd curious to know why is it safer than the usual key?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bah, safety = security.

Key-less starting means that I can start the car, hop out and lock the doors, then scrape snow and ice without the fear of some scrote nicking my car and running me over in the process. It also means that if the aforementioned scrote or their grubby little mates decide to car jack me at the lights, it'll stop when the key-fob is no longer detected. Unreasonable to assume that this will happen, but it does happen.

The key-fob also ensures that your car locks when you walk away from it. Stupidity aside, this is more of a time saver for me, because I wont have to walk BACK to the car to make sure that I did indeed lock it.

Another anti-stupid feature - you'll never be able to lock your keys in your car. Sounds really stupid, but it happens... and when it does, it involves emptying every drawer/cupboard in the house, looking for the spare. Assuming you are at home, of course, and not in deepest, darkest Wales, in a cottage, miles away from anywhere.

It's yet another hoop for your common car thief to jump, most will simply not even bother.

·
Registered
399 Posts
What do you mean "deepest darkest Wales"? just make sure you have your saddle you can borrow one of our "mountain sheep" to reach the nearest run down derelict pub we end up in at the weekend!! lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Push button start not available in the <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">UK</st1:country-region> or rest of <st1:place w:st="on">Europe</st1:place> I think. But have seen it as standard on the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> models.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MININUT said:
What do you mean "deepest darkest Wales"?
Hah, not meant as a derogatory comment - more of a reference to a particularly scary moment by which one of our party thought he had lockedhis keys in the boot of their car, only to find out he'd put them in his inside pocket. I've never felt further away from home!

Speaking of which - the plan is to pick up the Sportage prior to our next visit which is in late November. According to current reports, we may be out of luck if we go for a brand new one, so looks like a pre-reg might be our only option.

Sad to hear that Kia seem to have omitted keyless entry/start from their European models,while it's sister, the Hyundai ix35, retained that particular feature... seems like a crazy oversight to me as it would haveadded to the premium feel of the Sportage.

I wonder whether the part can be ordered from the states and fitted afterwards with little effort. The only sticking point would be the key-fob itself.

Edited by: mkten

·
Registered
399 Posts
mkten said:
MININUT said:
What do you mean "deepest darkest Wales"?
Hah, not meant as a derogatory comment - more of a reference to a particularly scary moment by which one of our party thought he had lockedhis keys in the boot of their car, only to find out he'd put them in his inside pocket. I've never felt further away from home!

Speaking of which - the plan is to pick up the Sportage prior to our next visit which is in late November. According to current reports, we may be out of luck if we go for a brand new one, so looks like a pre-reg might be our only option.

Sad to hear that Kia seem to have omitted keyless entry/start from their European models,while it's sister, the Hyundai ix35, retained that particular feature... seems like a crazy oversight to me as it would haveadded to the premium feel of the Sportage.

I wonder whether the part can be ordered from the states and fitted afterwards with little effort. The only sticking point would be the key-fob itself.

None taken at all mate, I thought it was quite funny. I hope you get your Sportage in time, and I also agree with the rest of your comments.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">
mkten said:
Here you go...

Push start

Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thinking about this, you'd need a lot of seperate elements to put together a keyless entry/start system... you'd need the sensors in the car, a key-fob that works with the system, a relay for the door locks... I could go on and on.
On the off-chance that the European Director of Kia Sales is reading this, please give us the option for a Keyless Kia!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I don't think it is currently available on the auto... nor do I think UK autos have a foot operated parking brake either. Maybe a UK auto owner could confirm.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Car jacking does happen, it happened to me in my VXR. Well attempted really, he ran at my car so I knocked him over as I sped off. But...the Kia has auto lock in all doors as a security measure. I'm not to bothered about keyless really. I'd rather have a bigger boot light and a flashing passive alarm armed light. I'm suprised there is no alarm light to deter would be scrotes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually guys, we do have some push button start models here in Eurpoe. I have top of range Sportage (Nov 2010) 2L Diesel equivalent to a KX3, I suspect, LHD bought in Spain which has push button start. I love it but my OH is not so sure. So, they are definitely out there as I am sure other EU members of the forum will attest.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts