Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HiMy daughter has just bought a 2011 Rio 2 1.4 petrol (old model) she is having a problem when moving off in 1st gear as she has to rev the engine or if not the engine stalls when letting out the clutch, she had the car in the dealers today though they inform her they cannot find a problem.

Anyone else encountered this type of problem?

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,232 Posts
Hi Yogi, yes my father complains of exactly the same. It's a 1.4 petrol Rio2 (58 plate). He had a Rio1 1.5SE before this and never had a problem. It is frustrating being in the car with him because you do have to rev the engine and he's just not used to needing to do that. It's probably that the engine has a lightweight flywheel or something and stalls before the engine management prevents it.
Phil

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I had the same problem in both 1.4 petrol Ceeds I had a few years ago. Just had to give it more revs than normal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm not certain, but I think perhaps the Kia engine management system has an effect on the revs when idling. Our Ceed seems to sometimes idle very low (about 0.7thou RPM) usually when in heavy stop/start traffic. It then needs a little push on the accelerator to get it going again without stalling (normally when it first starts it revs higher and you can pretty much pull away on flat ground without touching the accelerator). So I'm wondering if this is a more basic form of the stop start technology for fuel economy some cars now have.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
It's probably the engine management system. Kia seem to like this set up with their petrol engines. You need a fair bit of revs not to stall, then first gear is very low and you have too much torque. One minute you stall the engine, then the next time you're wheel spinning! My old 03 Rio is a bit like this and several other petrol Kias I have driven have been like it. It always catches me out when I go from the diesel to the petrol then back again. But it sounds like your's is particularly bad. Maybe something can be done to the throttle cable?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts