Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5 days old 1.6 Sportage GDi and brakes squeaking when I stop at junctions at normal speed. First noticed when driving down a hill (and radio turned down - so it may have been like this from day 1. Back to the dealer already I guess. Still can't understand the headlights either (as posted to this forum!).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,Mine are still squeaking. Dealer assures me this is normal (!). Only done 600 miles so how long do they take to "bed in" - not sure. One thing I have noticed though - once I've driven for a while (usually more than 30 mins) the squeak stops. Weird. Fantastic motor though. Let me know how things go with you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not sure how savvy you are with cars - but either you or a friend or even ask the dealer to put some copper grease between the pad and the caliper - this should dampen any vibrations that are causing the squeals.

But yes, depending on the pads, the harder ones squeal more - perfectly normal. Just means that they're going to last longer! The colder/damper it is - the more they'll squeal.
Edited by: Jonay

·
Registered
844 Posts
Mine squeaked for the first couple of days but I drive cars quite hard dont here nothing now at 2600 miles

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all. I have the Sportage 1 2011. I have noticed a squeaking noise from rear brakes but this only happens when handbrake is on and if car is sitting on a hill. The noise happens when the car does that roll forward or backward. It also happens every time I get out of car. It sounds as if the handbrake is struggling. It has been back to dealer twice and the have tightened the handbrake and greased the brakes but noise still there but not as loud now. Has anybody else been having the same problem.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Panda,

I have the same problem every time getting out of the car. Dealer tells me it's normal.
It may be normal for a Sportage, but I don't think it's normal for cars in general. I've never had a car that did this. I had a replacement Sportage while they were doing work on mine one time. That was exactly the same. Seems to be quite common.

If you find a solution, please let me know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Baz53 said:
Hi Panda,

I have the same problem every time getting out of the car. Dealer tells me it's normal.
It may be normal for a Sportage, but I don't think it's normal for cars in general. I've never had a car that did this. I had a replacement Sportage while they were doing work on mine one time. That was exactly the same. Seems to be quite common.

If you find a solution, please let me know.
Its going back to dealer again so will keep you posted.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Panda said:
Hi all. I have the Sportage 1 2011. I have noticed a squeaking noise from rear brakes but this only happens when handbrake is on and if car is sitting on a hill. The noise happens when the car does that roll forward or backward. It also happens every time I get out of car. It sounds as if the handbrake is struggling. It has been back to dealer twice and the have tightened the handbrake and greased the brakes but noise still there but not as loud now. Has anybody else been having the same problem. 
Same as mine, notice if handbrake not apply then there is no noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is an update on the squeaky brakes. The car was in for its 1st service yesterday and for the 3rd time about the squeaky brakes issue. The result is they now think that when the car does that bit of movement when the handbrake is on or when you get out of car that the brake pads are rubbing against the disc causing the squeaking noise.They also say its a design fault and can't do nothing about it until Kia come up with a way to solve it. They say they are reporting it to Kia but they said that the last time as well. Edited by: Panda

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hope you don't mind some input from a newbie, but you could always try Wurth Brake Cleaner.

I had squealing & squeaking brakes on my current car a Skoda Octavia, so I got some of this & used it on all of my brakes and they haven't squealed or squeaked since.

This is the stuff, it's about £5 a can, but it could be a lot cheaper than getting a mechanic to work on your car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I dont think is the brakes which cause it, i might be wrong, I think is the whole mechanism that includes the hill start control. as I have the same squeaky noise as Panda, only happened when parked up and only when you get in /out of the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
nanjo said:
I dont think is the brakes which cause it, i might be wrong, I think is the whole mechanism that includes the hill start control. as I have the same squeaky noise as Panda, only happened when parked up and only when you get in /out of the car.
I will be calling kia customer services tomorrow as they where ment to call the dealer today while car was in for service. Collected car at 3pm and still no call to dealer from them. It's clearly a design fault so I hope they do some testing to resolve the problem.
I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Well if you use brake cleaner & it works then you will save yourself a £'s because you know a dealer will charge you an arm & a leg to take it apart (probably clean out any dust) and reassemble it.

If you spend a £5'er on the cleaner and it works you're going to be quids in, if not then you have eliminated one possibility.

·
Registered
989 Posts
If use / non use of the hand brake results in noise / no noise then I suspect I know what the issue is.

Under suspension compresion / decompression the caliper will probably move clockwise / anti clockwise in relation to the brake disk.

If the handbrake is not applied / applied lightly = not enough friction to bind tightly = disk / pad movement with no noise.

If the handbrake is applied with medium force = not enough friction to bind tightly = disk / pad movement with chirpy / squeaky noise.

If the handbrake is applied with large force = enough friction to bind tightly = no disk / pad movement and no noise.

The movement required to make the noise can be very small i.e. getting out of the car and the suspension relaxing / raising a little or altering the load in the boot etc.

A few simple trials would prove if this is the issue in your case.

Hope this helps

WD

1 - 20 of 23 Posts