Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is nothing new but thought I'd start afresh
Kia Rio 2008 and everytime l start it, l now wait couple of minutes for the squeaking belt to stop. First question is which belt is it?
Also on full lock it will squeal a bit, and steering goes slightly juddery and slightly heavy, straight en up and all well.
I ve no idea which belt does what

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
this sounds like the accessories drive belt, a v shaped belt, previously known as the fan belt.
it may be a bit old and require replacement, they are not expensive.
it could also be a bit loose, I'm pretty sure there is no automatic tensioner, and that it will need manual adjustment.
IT also sounds like you have hydraulic power steering, the hydraulic pump is driven by that belt, and the pump wont function properly when the belt is loose or worn.
It is possible that the car has a separate belt for the power steering belt, in such case it should suffice to adjust/replace only that.

If you are going to pay to get it adjusted then you may as well get a new belt installed, it will only be 10 minutes extra time required. rubber belts deteriorate due to heat and contamination.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello mate, thanks for information. Problem is there about 5 belts swirling round. Which one am l looking at?
Hello mate, thanks for information. Problem is there about 5 belts swirling round. Which one am l looking at?
How do I put photos on here? Is it the belt nearest top.
I had that tensioned so it's either worn or not the one squeaking

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Who ever did the tensioning should also be able to identify a power steering drive belt.
If you want to DIY then Google the power steering pump to see what it looks like, this should lead you to the belt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.