Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
2020 Kia E-Niro
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few days my 2020 E-Niro 4 has been sounding Speed camera alerts, where no speed cameras exist. It would seem that others have also experienced the same issue. My car was loaded with the latest maps and software when it was serviced on the 22nd July.

Are Kia aware of this issue, and when can we expect it to be resolved. I assume it is something to do with UVO Live connection data.

Super Moderator
Note the sticky.
KCS are not here this week. (y)

Registered
From what I can see about the 'extra' bongs in my area , they seem to relate to places where a mobile camera was once used, maybe many months ago. They certainly don't match up to where speed camera vans are actually operating

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
Yes I raised this with KCS this week by email but only got the standard

"We take all customer feedback seriously. Rest assured your comments will be passed onto the relevant department for review. We use customer comments and feedback to continuously improve our brand and the service we offer, and we appreciate the time you鈥檝e taken to email us"

Which suggests to me that they haven't even read it let alone passed it on but perhaps I'm just too cynical 馃

In my case I am as certain as I can be that the new locations have never been used for static or mobile speed checks as they are very local to me and they are not registered on my local police safety camera map.

I'm pretty certain it's an error but when this will register with Kia let alone get something done about it who knows 馃檮

Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
Yes I raised this with KCS this week by email but only got the standard

"We take all customer feedback seriously. Rest assured your comments will be passed onto the relevant department for review. We use customer comments and feedback to continuously improve our brand and the service we offer, and we appreciate the time you鈥檝e taken to email us"

Which suggests to me that they haven't even read it let alone passed it on but perhaps I'm just too cynical 馃
As iooi just said KCS won't answer just yet as 'We'd like to note that we won't be available to monitor this forum between Sep 6th and Sep 10th.' Which they posted on this forum 3rd Sept. They will catch up when they are back.

As for the spurious speed cameras, that could be down to apps such as Waze or Tomtoms Amigo which invite drivers to report speed cameras by pressing a 'report' button. Drivers may well be reporting temporary camera vans or even a white van man having his lunch in a layby. I often find reports of roadworks which don't exist as drivers have not yet reported them gone. Apps make money by selling this sort of info to each other so it could be that whoever provides Kia's speed camera intel is including all the reports instead of just fixed cameras. It's not too bad for Waze, Amigo etc users as the apps are frequently updated in real time. I suspect you will be stuck with your current speed camera list until your next Kia update, whenever that may be.

Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
As iooi just said KCS won't answer just yet as 'We'd like to note that we won't be available to monitor this forum between Sep 6th and Sep 10th.' Which they posted on this forum 3rd Sept. They will catch up when they are back.

As for the spurious speed cameras, that could be down to apps such as Waze or Tomtoms Amigo which invite drivers to report speed cameras by pressing a 'report' button. Drivers may well be reporting temporary camera vans or even a white van man having his lunch in a layby. I often find reports of roadworks which don't exist as drivers have not yet reported them gone. Apps make money by selling this sort of info to each other so it could be that whoever provides Kia's speed camera intel is including all the reports instead of just fixed cameras. It's not too bad for Waze, Amigo etc users as the apps are frequently updated in real time. I suspect you will be stuck with your current speed camera list until your next Kia update, whenever that may be.
KCS are definitely there if you email them, I think it's just the guy who looks at this forum who's away.

I think you are right we are probably stuck with a plethora of incorrect cameras but they are come from the live data not map map updates

Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
I think you are right we are probably stuck with a plethora of incorrect cameras but they are come from the live data not map map updates
It does sound like the live data is including the self reported cameras then. Does your navigation system allow you to self report cameras? If not the info must be coming from the apps that do allow (and encourage) this.

Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
It does sound like the live data is including the self reported cameras then. Does your navigation system allow you to self report cameras? If not the info must be coming from the apps that do allow (and encourage) this.
This is always possible but as none of the new local camera locations I've noted have ever to my knowledge had any form of camera at them it seems unlikely these are all self reported cameras.

I would have thought it is more likely to just be an error. Our difficulty is determining who actually does provide this info, KCS tell me it's Here but brochures say TomTom and even if we have this info how to get something done about it. I tried informing Here only to get an email back telling me I needed to send a form to another dept but the link they gave was nonexistent 馃檮 and KCS don't seem to have taken the matter seriously.

Registered
Our difficulty is determining who actually does provide this info, KCS tell me it's Here but brochures say TomTom and even if we have this info how to get something done about it. I tried informing Here only to get an email back telling me I needed to send a form to another dept but the link they gave was nonexistent 馃檮 and KCS don't seem to have taken the matter seriously.
Given the sudden 'arrival' of this bug associated with the new software it is terrible that KCS don't have better information and replies to queries. I'm still on 2020 SW and have seen no change in the Speed Camera alert system which (I'm pretty certain) still comes via Live data from TomTom.

If what is said is correct across all implementations then the SW is clearly not fit for 'purpose'. Radom camera alerts, when no camera is present, and speed displays 1 MPH wrong, should be acknowledged and addressed.

I know this forum is not a formal Kia issues site so can someone in the moderators team give KCS a nudge and suggest that they give some informed response - and certainly clear up the question of who delivers Live data in the 2020 SW and is delivering Live data in the 2021 implementation.

Super Moderator
I know this forum is not a formal Kia issues site so can someone in the moderators team give KCS a nudge and suggest that they give some informed response - and certainly clear up the question of who delivers Live data in the 2020 SW and is delivering Live data in the 2021 implementation.
KCS monitor this section and will respond if they have something to say. We can not prompt them to do that. We are lucky to have a official presence. As it is very rare for any manufacture to do this.

They may feed the issues on, but how long it takes to get resolved is out of their hands.

Registered
I did sort of wonder how "user reported" cams would be verified by mapping providers.

Seems very easy to "poison the well" in terms of "live data" if one was inclined to do so?

Makes me wonder about rental cars - "Hey I can add cameras to this road which I'm never driving on again..."

Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
I did sort of wonder how "user reported" cams would be verified by mapping providers.

Seems very easy to "poison the well" in terms of "live data" if one was inclined to do so?

Makes me wonder about rental cars - "Hey I can add cameras to this road which I'm never driving on again..."
Or if you live in a village or town with high levels of speeding through traffic.... Must be tempting. 馃槇馃懣

Registered
2020 Kia E-Niro
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got fed up with all the bonging so turned off the Speed Camera Alerts in the head unit. Now the Lane Keep Assist doesn't work. Grrrrrr :mad::mad:

Super Moderator
I got fed up with all the bonging so turned off the Speed Camera Alerts in the head unit. Now the Lane Keep Assist doesn't work. Grrrrrr :mad::mad:
Sio if you turn sound back on, does LKA work?

Registered
2020 Kia E-Niro
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haven't tried switching speed camera alerts back on yet, will do so next time I'm in the car

Registered
2020 Kia E-Niro
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Turned the alerts back on, and the LKA is working again. Haven't tested the spurious alerts yet.

Registered
Turned the alerts back on, and the LKA is working again. Haven't tested the spurious alerts yet.
If you turn it off again does LKA stop still? The connections seems very strange. It could be considered a safety issue as KLA will become (has?) mandatory and should be enable at the start of every new journey i.e. not capable of being switched off permanently.

Registered
2020 Kia E-Niro
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I fail to see why the speed camera alerts being on or off should affect the LKA since that relies on the white lines, unless it's badly written software

Registered
I fail to see why the speed camera alerts being on or off should affect the LKA since that relies on the white lines, unless it's badly written software
Even more strange as it's very unlikely that a car safety system would even be embedded in a navigation/entertainment unit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts