Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
That’s what I was weighing up as well. After lots of reviewing and checking of options etc I decided on the gt-line S. when I was going through the options, there were a few bits that I wanted on the car which the 4 just didn’t have but it’s down to own individual preference. Go onto the Kia website and look at the trim levels and what you get on each one and go with the one that best suits what you need and want from the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same for me. I looked for a nearly new/ex-demo GT S but found I could get a new 4 for £2k less. I can do without the powered rear door and the adaptive cruise-whatever. It appears that the 4 is being dropped anyway. Somwhere I read that the GT S has a different (harder) suspension set up, cannot corroborate that though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
"Is it worth it" is only a question you can answer.
Depends if the extra features are ones you need or not.

I went with GT-Line S as I needed the opening sunroof (so I can safely carry my dog), I wanted the JBL stereo as I'm a bit of an audiophile, and I preferred the external styling of the GT-line cars and the "4" model of the time didn't have the features I needed.

That said, I'd have happily gone with out the electric tailgate (which is always a concern where my dog is concerned - and also happily opens the tailgate into stationary objects as there are no sensors on it) and if I was buying a latest model one the autonomous cruise control would probably have been a strong reason NOT to buy that model as I really detest those auto-cruise systems and believe they should be banned.

I also note the GT-line S cars seem more in demand used so the future value is a little more protected.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Same for me. I looked for a nearly new/ex-demo GT S but found I could get a new 4 for £2k less. I can do without the powered rear door and the adaptive cruise-whatever. It appears that the 4 is being dropped anyway. Somwhere I read that the GT S has a different (harder) suspension set up, cannot corroborate that though.
The GT-Line, GT-Line S and 4 all run on 19 inch wheels, which firms up the ride. I've stepped up from a KX-2 to a GT-Line and in all honesty we have not noticed a big difference except, the steering on the GT-Line feels better.
This is all down to personal choice and how much money you are will to pay.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm glad I asked on here, as I found out the GT-Line S runs that automatic anti-collision radar, which will slam the brakes on for you etc.
If I can, I want to avoid any car fitted with that, so 'downgrading' to the GT-Line avoids that and is fine with me.
I don't think there's any suspension differences between the models, just wheel size.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Top Gear review mentions: "GT-Line cars get their own specially tuned suspension and ‘athletic handling’ – in other words, they also don’t ride particularly well. Smaller wheels would help, but overall it’s not as cosseting as it should be."

·
Registered
463 Posts
Wheels make or break the looks of a car, they're absolutely crucial IMO.
IMO you get away with 18s on the Sportage, 19s are even better.
Any smaller than 18s....yuck

·
Super Moderator
2,675 Posts
Just remember that there is NO "4" anymore. So you are looking at old (2019) stock.

Now you have a choice of 2,3,GT-Line & GT-line-S

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm glad I asked on here, as I found out the GT-Line S runs that automatic anti-collision radar, which will slam the brakes on for you etc.
If I can, I want to avoid any car fitted with that, so 'downgrading' to the GT-Line avoids that and is fine with me.
I don't think there's any suspension differences between the models, just wheel size.
You can turn the front automatic collision system off in the settings though I believe?

·
Registered
50 Posts
You had better tell your insurance company if you do turn it off! In my opinion a very foolish decision.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wheels make or break the looks of a car, they're absolutely crucial IMO.
IMO you get away with 18s on the Sportage, 19s are even better.
Any smaller than 18s....yuck
And this is why cars now have massive wheels with liquorice-strip tyres that cost a fortune, a bone-hard ride, and wheels that crack when you hit a pothole.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Don't be ridiculous - you no more have to tell your insurance company than if you turn the auto-wipers off. If it's in the ordinary dashboard menus to be toggled on and off, it's entirely acceptable to do so.
I don’t yet have the car (getting it shortly I hope). However, seeing some videos whilst reviewing the car I see that in the menus you should be able to toggle the active part on or off I believe. Apparently you can also turn smart cruise control off if you want to and it reverts to standard cruise control if you don’t want it following car in front. But again I cannot try this myself as not yet in possession of the car but maybe someone else on here can confirm it this is the case or not in the U.K.?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Auto wipers is a bit different to auto collision devices - in the case of a heavy rear-end collision it would be obvious to an insurance company that the driver had switched this device off and would they settle the claim - I doubt it.
I was told, when I changed vehicles from an Audi A4 to the Kia that my insurance had dropped because the car was fitted with this device - Perhaps not so ridiculous after all!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Auto wipers is a bit different to auto collision devices - in the case of a heavy rear-end collision it would be obvious to an insurance company that the driver had switched this device off and would they settle the claim - I doubt it.
I was told, when I changed vehicles from an Audi A4 to the Kia that my insurance had dropped because the car was fitted with this device - Perhaps not so ridiculous after all!
I would accept if the insurance company specifies a device in the documentation and is willing to give a discount, then you are obliged to use said device. I get a discount for my dash cam, so I am obliged to keep it on.
I don't think that would apply if I turn any safety feature, like Lane Keep Assist, Auto Headlights, Driver Attention Warning, off and have an accident, the insurance won't pay up. And yet the manufacturers give the option to turn such devices on or off. :unsure:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Getting back on topic, just taken a look at the new Sportage specs and the new '3' spec is virtually the old '4'
Everything in the spec that is on my wish list, especially the sun roof.
Anyone know when these 'new' models are hitting the streets?

·
Super Moderator
2,675 Posts
Pretty sure that automatic collision system is default to on (for good reason) and would need to be turned off each time you turn on.
TBH. it's good and does not kick in often, unless you are one of these that drive in the car in fronts boot...

As to the insurance side. Unless they were able to pick up it was turned off, you would be OK, but remember that it's ins group might be based on it having the device and it running.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Getting back on topic, just taken a look at the new Sportage specs and the new '3' spec is virtually the old '4'
Everything in the spec that is on my wish list, especially the sun roof.
Anyone know when these 'new' models are hitting the streets?
You've reminded me, when we changed car in March our local dealership, a family run firm, couldn't supply us with certain models with the engine/car colour we wanted. There were no 1's or 3's and hardly any GT-Line's. I wasn't interested in the 4 or GT-Line S. I thought he was trying to put one over us, but maybe they were running existing stocks low to allow this re-alignment.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The driver aid question is basic contract law, if its in your insurance contract then turning them off invalidates your agreement. If it doesn't mention them, you can't be held responsible.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts