Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up a 68 plate on Monday wife wants sidesteps fitting the Kia sporty ones after seeing them on a car in the showroom question is bought from Kia they are £500 but that includes fitting, i can buy the side steps cheaper at £380 but are they easy enough to fit? Having read posts on here I know opinion is split about having them but wife wants them so anything for a quite life

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
145 Posts
Picking up a 68 plate on Monday wife wants sidesteps fitting the Kia sporty ones after seeing them on a car in the showroom question is bought from Kia they are £500 but that includes fitting, i can buy the side steps cheaper at £380 but are they easy enough to fit? Having read posts on here I know opinion is split about having them but wife wants them so anything for a quite life
For the sake of £120 and a couple of hours faffing around doing it yourself I’d just get Kia to supply and fit them.

·
Super Moderator
4,872 Posts
Reactions: ArthurCollins2

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 3 yr old Sportage, Sports line, with side steps, they look great but trust me they are a pain in the bum.
I am 6.3 my wife is 5.10 and we still have to stretch when getting in and out of the car to avoid catching our legs on them.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
411 Posts
Side steps are one of these things - you either need them or you don't.
You need them if you regularly need to access the roof area for carrying loads, equipment etc., or if are vertically challenged and need a step point to get in/out of the car.

If neither of these things are you, then they're pointless & as Len Sagar say, just get in the way as a hinderance. I imagine they're not particularly helpful for fuel economy either.

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
122 Posts
I wouldnt bother. It makes it so much harder to get in and out the car unless you use them to step on when getting in and out. Which I never have done on any car that's had them. I thought about about on mine but my father in law has them on his and it put me right off

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: called in at our local dealer this morning they have a demonstrator with the sporty side steps not only did we try it out getting in & out but dealer said they are not for standing on! So literally £500 for the look so taking everyone's advice on here saved £500 and invested in a foldable step to reach roofbox when fitted

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
145 Posts
Update: called in at our local dealer this morning they have a demonstrator with the sporty side steps not only did we try it out getting in & out but dealer said they are not for standing on! So literally £500 for the look so taking everyone's advice on here saved £500 and invested in a foldable step to reach roofbox when fitted
Don’t forget to explain to the wife that her choice would have been the wrong choice. She’ll love being told that!

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
411 Posts
The dealer doesn't know their arse from their elbow. The Sporty side steps ARE for standing on. You only have to look at the engineering in the fittings to appreciate that.

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
122 Posts
The dealer doesn't know their arse from their elbow. The Sporty side steps ARE for standing on. You only have to look at the engineering in the fittings to appreciate that.
I know. Imagine calling them side steps but you can't step on them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts