Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am at a cross roads of choosing my next vehicle and am down to a Kia Sportage KX3 2.0 Diesel Manual Vs a Nissan Qashqai 1.6 4WD.

The Sportage has it on looks, space , price (just) and is about equal on electronics etc.

The quashqai has it on paper on fuel economy with the new 1.6 diesel which they do in a 4WD as opposed to the Sportage who only do AWD in the 2.0 and not the 1.7 diesel.

But paper numbers are the never the same as teh real thing so has anyone got any fuel economy figures for the Sportage that will help me make up my mind?

Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
I love the Sportage, and thats a tuff choice. I think the Kia looks cool and the Nissan bland. Dare I say it I think the Nissan might just have the edge.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hello. I have the 1.7 CRDi Sportage and my partner has the 1.6 Nissan Qashqai. It is a close thing and both are good SUVs. I can say that the Nissian feels like it has less urge and poke than the Kia although they both have more or less same power. So for me the Kia engine feels more flexible and has better low down kick.

Chris

Edited by: Dan

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm the total opposite. I almost went for the Nissan. Could not stand the thought of owning a Kia. How wrong I was. I cringe when I see the Nissan now. They look about 10 years out of date. I can't speak for the 2.0 bit my kx3 1.7 is giving me about 47mpg. My last car was a vauxhall Astra VXR. I thought I'd hate a 1.7d but I'm loving it. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you do go for the Nissan, avoid the petrol at all costs.
We've had a few Qashqais as courtesy cars when owning our Nissan Pathfinder.
The petrol was gutless, and didn't seem right. The diesel seemed much better,and was a much nicer drive.
The Sportage is nicer to drive again. The Nissan was well under the claimed fuel economy, the Kia is exceeding it!

Although they look in a simlar class, i don't think the Qashqai and the Sportage compare.
This is not a dig at the Qashqai, as we considered both before getting they Sportage.
The Qashqai can be had for much less, but once the extras go on it soon adds up.
Come time to sell though, and the real cost will become apparent. Kia are maintaining their values.
This is mainly down to the 7 year warranty, which is attracting lots of attention.
The Qashqia will be cheaper to service though. They only require a service every two years and 18/24,000 miles.

As for looks and style. Sorry...IMHO... there is no contest!
Friends and relatives have been blown away with the Sportage.
So much so, that two friends are swapping their current cars to get one.
One was due to change any way, the other has only had his car a year!
Edited by: fulabeer

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I do -frequently drive off road with a dir bike trailer. Have seen enough people with 2WD getting stuck at bike events so it's a must for me.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Fairy snuff. If fuel consumption is your main concern then the Nissan looks like the best bet.

It wouldn't be my choice though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But do you have a feel for the 2,0 fuel consumption at all? I was hoping to find out if I would get 40 mpg out of it?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
tenrab said:
But do you have a feel for the 2,0 fuel consumption at all? I was hoping to find out if I would get 40 mpg out of it?

Take a gander at this...

http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/what-mpg_topic5713_post32360.html?KW

Bear in mind that the Cash'n Carry is also likely to deliver poorer real world consumption that the official lab derived figures may suggest. The bigger Sportage engine may also be a better bet for towing.

Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
15 Posts
to answeryour question, I have 2.0 CRDi AWD 1st Ed, have never got close to 40mpg!, probably average 33-36 in the last 14 months of ownership - this is thedownside, especially when you need £80 to brim it!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Really depends on your journey, my consumption on a motorway/ A roads can go up towards 39mpg but currently on my 10 mile journey to work down country roads and in traffic I am at 34 mpg.

But Sportage is much nicer looking than the Nissan and less of them around! ˜„

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all - I decided to go for the Sportage! Ordered this week in White - now awaiting a delivery date. Fingers crossed for late March

·
Registered
87 Posts
tenrab said:
Thanks all - I decided to go for the Sportage! Ordered this week in White - now awaiting a delivery date. Fingers crossed for late March
I have just had mine delivered, very impressed so far

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ordered in Jan with a march delivery:) whose the dealer - Merlin of slovenia

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just like to add I've owned a 1st Ed 2ltr Diesel AWD from new since Oct 2010. Fuel consumption always averages 40.something- 41. We (wife included) do the usual mix of motorway, b and town road driving. Also like tosay not had any problems with the car (touch wood, fingers crossed) and have enjoyed every moment of driving/owning this wagon. You made the right choice in mu opinion.The Qashqai I guess is made in Sunderland? so I suppose buying "Made in UK" might prick your conscience.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote MLUXTON:
"to answer your question, I have 2.0 CRDi AWD 1st Ed, have never got close to 40mpg!, probably average 33-36 in the last 14 months of ownership - this is the downside, especially when you need £80 to brim it!"

Have you had the engine management reprogrammed/upgraded? I told a little white lie about no problems with mine earlier. I had a button replaced on the steering wheel (phone) a few month in. When I picked the car up the service manager said it had two engine remap/upgrades. This is when we sarted to get 40mpg and a much smoother drive. Just a thought

Edited by: cmclough

·
Registered
245 Posts
I can understand your dilemma totally.

The Sportage has the looks, while the Nissan is a trifle bland (without adding lots of extra kit to beef it up). Otherwise it is a very tough call between the two for a 4x4. I initially was comparing those two plus the Land Rover Freelander as I quite fancied another 4x4 again. The Freelander was the one that stole my heart out of the 3 (all be it the most expensive option), but in the end I had a total change of heart and decided a 4x4 just wasn't essential for me, just a nice to have. I took an about turn and went all out for practical yet dirt cheap running costs for the next few years... hence my Ceed. (The Freelander or better still an Evoque remain very much on my 'one-day' wish list
)

I reckon it comes down to how long you would keep it. If you only want it for 3 years and then change then the Cash-cow is probably the way to go. They have such good resale values and Nissan have some fantastic finance deals (I should know as we bought my wife a Juke last year! cracking car, and Nissan have gone right up in my estimation since
). Also, Nissan do offer to sell you warranty top ups, so although you get 3 years warranty as standard you can add 2, 3 or 4 year warranty extensions to this at a very very resonable cost if you did want to keep the car longer. Suddenly that is equal to the Kia proposition. Also (sorry Kia), but in my experience so far the Nissan dealers service has out performed the Kia dealers. Plus we got 3 years free servicing with the Juke too, an offer I still believe they are running across quite a few cars in the range.

If you want it for the long term proposition - 4 years plus then the Sportage with that 7 year warranty is one hell of a temptation. The resale values are also looking strong on these - plus I do think the Sportage has it in the looks department.

Nissan probably has the edge in my opinion (if you can go for some nice wheels and extras to beef it up), but a very tough call to make, that only you can decide based on what you want the car to do and how you feel driving it etc. A very personal decision to make...Good luck.

Edited by: micman

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks all for the comments - Having ordered my KX-3 Sat Nav (White) on 14 Jan I picked it up on 12 March (could have had it last week of feb if I had wanted a 61 plate) So Merlin of Slovakia did indeed deliver on time. I sooo love this motor!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts