Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any help, advice would be handy
I got a 2005 plate 2cdri sportage, I love this car, but once I drive it for an hour 1st and 2nd, and reverse gear are a nightmare to engage, 3rd 4th and 5th are fine
once the car is cold or left for an hour, all the gears are fine on little short runs, but seems once car is hot something seems to expand and effects 1st 2nd gear

·
Registered
4 Posts
any help, advice would be handy
I got a 2005 plate 2cdri sportage, I love this car, but once I drive it for an hour 1st and 2nd, and reverse gear are a nightmare to engage, 3rd 4th and 5th are fine
once the car is cold or left for an hour, all the gears are fine on little short runs, but seems once car is hot something seems to expand and effects 1st 2nd gear

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I've just got an 07 6 speed Sportage CRD, and am having a similar problem with it, although in my Sportage the difficult gears to find are 2nd and 4th, and generally after driving the car for at least 1-2 hours. Annoyingly it doesnt happen all the time, and seems to resolve itself once its cooled down (which makes taking it to a garage a nightmare as typically no one has ever had it long enough to replicate the issue). Previous owner said the clutch and flywheel were replaced 18 months ago. so am wondering whether a gearbox oil change will help- although am unsure of what oil to use as dont have an owners manual? Did you manage to resolve your problem? or has anyone else suffered similar issues. Other than this I love the little Kia!

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Gear cable adjustment? Or wear in cable ends allowing play in the movement. Google 2007 Sportage owners handbook for free download.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, I hope my 2 cents will help.
I had a similar problem on my 2005 2.0 Crdi and when I asked a mechanic to look at it, he suggested a clutch change right away but I wasn't convinced that it was my clutch. Upon inspection I found that the harness was in the way of the gear linkage so I neatened them up and cable tied it and still drives smooth.

I hope this is your problem because it won't cost a cent.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there, I hope my 2 cents will help.
I had a similar problem on my 2005 2.0 Crdi and when I asked a mechanic to look at it, he suggested a clutch change right away but I wasn't convinced that it was my clutch. Upon inspection I found that the harness was in the way of the gear linkage so I neatened them up and cable tied it and still drives smooth.

I hope this is your problem because it won't cost a cent.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk
Thanks for your response, as well as Googling I've spoken to a local garage who have a theory that the linkages on the gearbox itself need better lubrication. Anyway the car is now with them, so I'm hoping to hear something more from them tomorrow. Just like you I'm sure its neither the clutch or an issue with the gearbox, I'm fairly certain its a linkage issue one way or another! Anyway I shall share the results with you all once I (hopefully) get it sorted! Cheers all!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.