Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sportage gtline
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kia Sportage gtline 2 litre 2016 I tow a caravan when we hitch up the caravan isn’t far of the ground also when pulling the caravan it bangs any advice please

·
Registered
871 Posts
Hi Michelle
Sounds like you have too much 'weight' on the tow hitch,can you redistribute any items in the caravan to even up the weight distribution in the caravan ?
You should have a specified positive 'weight' or load on the tow hitch,too much and you can damage the rear suspension of the tow car - too little and you will have stability problems and possibly make the tow hitch 'locking' unsafe.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage gtline
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Michelle
Sounds like you have too much 'weight' on the tow hitch,can you redistribute any items in the caravan to even up the weight distribution in the caravan ?
You should have a specified positive 'weight' or load on the tow hitch,too much and you can damage the rear suspension of the tow car - too little and you will have stability problems and possibly make the tow hitch 'locking' unsafe.
Thankyou will check weight

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
Hello Michelle and welcome to the forum. I agree with everything @maxaret says. From your description it sounds like your caravan is nose heavy and is exceeding the cars tow ball weight. Our previous 2017 Sportage and our current 2020 have a maximum tow ball weight of 100kg, which should not be exceeded. I aim for 85 to 90 kg. I would assume your car would be similar, but you need to check. Our car and caravan sits perfectly level when towing.

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
436 Posts

See details on this thread.

Reactions: mr.macspot
1 - 8 of 8 Posts