Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help with this (what should be a) fairly simple question?

On the "How to update your SatNav" part of the KIA website it says:

"SD card storage space must be more than 32Gb" - it also says it should be formatted to FAT32

Note that "more than 32Gb".

I struggled to get a 64Gb SD card formatted to FAT32 (the default is exFAT and Windows refuses to do a FAT32 format on it) but I managed after a lot of messing around.

When i tried to copy the software update onto the SD card the "Navigation Updater" app refused to use the SD card because it was "more than 32Gb".

What the ^&*( is going on here?

Do I have to go out and buy a 32Gb SD card - despite having a couple of 64Gb cards lying idle?

Will a 32Gb card have enough room for all the files?

·
Registered
2017 GT Line S 1.6 Petrol AWD
211 Posts
Take the one out your car. Copy the files on it. (Just in case).
Then use that.
Definitely works with a 32gb card. Or it did on my 17 plate.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage GT Line S 2019 (69 plate)
846 Posts
As faltwen said, use the card that’s already in there. I doubt it will be 16gb. As long as it’s the 32gb card (which is needed as update is around 27gb if I remember correctly) that’s what I did when I updated and worked fine.

however, word of warning. If you have the compact Gen 5 or standard Gen 5 then maybe hold off on the update until a working version is released.
As you will see in the forum post on this website regarding the November update, the update brought bugs and stopped certain things working correctly.

I updated In November but if I could go back and do it again then I would have waited as it worked fine before I updated but I now have a few bugs which have been introduced in latest update which has meant certain functions of sat nav and speed sign recognition just don’t work properly at the moment.

if you have a gen 5w then you will probably be ok to update as they’ve already had a couple of updates to the software to fix some bugs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a clear unambiguous way to discover which type of system a car has (gen 5w, gen 5, gen 4 etc. etc.)?

I ran the Navigation updater and that 'states' that I have a "Compact Gen 5" navigation system - but this process seems filled with errors[1] so I don't entirely trust the thing.

[1] When the website user instructions under "Prepare for Update" clearly says you must use an SD card that is greater than 32Gb - that has to be an error.

·
Registered
2017 GT Line S 1.6 Petrol AWD
211 Posts
I just entered my old software number in the installer and it chose compact version.
When I contacted the complaints department they asked for this number and they confirmed that mine is compact version.
You could always contact them through the link on the update web page.

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
You haven't said what year your car is, and there is no hint in your signature, but as @Faltwen has stated 'do not go by the MY number', it is misleading. Likewise with which generation head unit you may have, Kia have mixed them up so often it is a lottery. You are far better finding the software number on your head unit and entering that, the system will identify the correct download.
For example my car is a 2020 Sportage which isn't covered by a MY number on the list. I found my software number QL.PE.EUR.SOP.007.1.191209.STD_M and entered that and the system identified the car as a MY18 specification and the head unit is a Standard Gen5.
Having said all that the software is still buggy and I've chosen to wait until the next promised update, April-June this year.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You haven't said what year your car is, and there is no hint in your signature, but as @Faltwen has stated 'do not go by the MY number', it is misleading. Likewise with which generation head unit you may have, Kia have mixed them up so often it is a lottery. You are far better finding the software number on your head unit and entering that, the system will identify the correct download.
For example my car is a 2020 Sportage which isn't covered by a MY number on the list. I found my software number QL.PE.EUR.SOP.007.1.191209.STD_M and entered that and the system identified the car as a MY18 specification and the head unit is a Standard Gen5.
Having said all that the software is still buggy and I've chosen to wait until the next promised update, April-June this year.
Thanks for that. I did as you suggested & the recommended software does indeed match up (for my 2017 Sportage KX-5) so that's reassuring.

I did download an update around Christmas time, but decided to not install it after reading (here) about the speed limit bug.
From time to time I would check to see if there was a new version but the download app said the version I had was the latest.
Until... when in tried again a couple of days ago it did download what I assumed to be a new version (took around an hour) but their website is still quoting the 12/11/21 date.

On balance, I'll hold off to see what April will bring.

Thanks agan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts