Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last Sportage (2005 XS model) used a Thule aero roof rack mounted onto the roof rails. THis was a great combination that worked well at all speeds with very slight wind noise.

I picked up my latest Sportage Titan two days ago and asked the garage to fit a roof rack. The latest roof rack is a Kia branded aero roof rack. It looked similar to my old one but it made a VERY high pitched whine at any speed over 50 mph.

This noise was unbearable and drowned the radio out. I promptly returned it to the Kia garage as not fit for purpose. I have now ordered a Thule roof rack online, the same as I used to use!

The garage mentioned that I might have to move the front bar to the rear when not in use but I never had to do that on my Thule bars?

Has any one else come across this? and I don't mean a bit of wind buffering noise but a very loud high pitched whine.

Minor problem on a fantastic vehicle.

Regards

Matt

·
Registered
887 Posts
Theres 2 little palstic bits in the kit, they fit under the bars once fitted to cover the gaps to allow adjustment, bet they weren't fitted!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That will have been really annoying if that's what has happened! Thanks for your input.

Any other thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fitted a Thule roof rack with aero bars this evening... problem gone

For anyone interested the model that works well is as follows: Bought from www.roofbox.co.uk

Thule 757 - Foot Pack: Thule Rapid System roof rail clamps (4) no. 757
1 x £56.85 = £56.85
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Thule 861 - Aerobars: Alternative bars (bars only): aluminium bars 861
1 x £55.00 = £55.00

Well recommended for all later model 2004 / 2005 Sportage models onwards.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got my Sportage with the bars and 2 bike carriers. It 40mph for me and it whistles like a piper. I have not complained as the bars are great and hold a bike solid. I thought it my be the bike carrier bars ut are you saying its the crossbars? Not sure what i will do. Possibly just drive on the 30mph roads then its fine. Kev

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there

Yes for me it was the original KIA cross bars. Just to make it clear we are not talking about typical wind noise e.g. buffering, that will happen on any roof rack system. The noise described is a high pitched whistling noise, heard even over the radio - totally unacceptable.

In comparrison the Thule roof bars are as silent as a ninja wearing extra soft slippers

Hope this helps.

Matt

·
Registered
887 Posts
Thule supply the kia bars..
The reason your getting whistling noise on non aero bars, is that the plastic strips are missing from under the bars, the kit comes with 2 plastic 'rulers' they need cutting and fitting either side of the bars feet once fitted, this will cure your noise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very good information Murph. The Kia garage where I had mine originally fitted didleave two ruler like items in my car! I asked what they were for and they didn't know so I disposed of them.

The original Kia bars are similar to the shop bought Thule bars (not exactly the same though) so I can well believe that they make them.

That's solved that problem then, I just wish my Kia dealer knew this at the time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts