Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Have recently bought a 2008 petrol sportage XE and am not too impressed with the fuel economy.

I'm only getting just over 20 mpg round town and a touch over 30 mpg on the motorways. Is this normal? Also, I've noticed that there's quite a bit of steam coming from the exhaust now the weather's turned cold. It seems to be coming out whenever the car is stationary and idling. I might expect it if the car is warming up as isn't the fuel supposed to be pretty rich at that stagebut it's doing iteven straight after a 2 hr motorway journey!

Any chance the fuel.air ratio has been set incorrectly or isn;t adjusting itself after the car has warmed up? Has anyone else got the same issue?

Thanks for any help.

Ben

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Ben as long as you are not loosing coolant you are OK.
Even my diesel is smoking white smoke at the moment due to the cold humide weather.

Fuel consumsion at this time of the year can take a bit of a dive, mine has gone from 38.5 to 32 MPG

Just keep a check on your fluid levels at the moment.

Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Bob, I've noticed the same mpg drop from a nice ~39 to ~33... just curious but how come it can take a dive?

·
Registered
197 Posts
The test used to establish the official fuel figures is conducted at 20C (ie a Scottish summer!). As it cools, oil thickens and engines take longer to reach a working temperature - hence more fuel is used. Also in the dark days you have your lights on(I hope), probably the heated rear window and the fan working hard - all of this requires energy and that comes from the engine which has to work harder to make the alternator spin. On top of that if you have been running on snow, the 4WD system will be kicking-in (more mechanical resistance) and your tyres too will have found it harder togrip (think about the effort it takes to walk on snow). Of course if you like to idle the engine a lot to warm the car before you drive off, you could manage 0 MPG.

My recent tank fill indicated 30 MPG down from my normal 37. My wife's Panda 4x4 has dropped too from the low 40s to the mid 30s. It's the weather and it's snowing again!

Richard

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm kinda relieved by your answer Blow-in

I' just bought a. '07 plate 2L Petrol Sportage and filled the tank tonight in order to check the mileage.
26 mpg is all I'm getting. I hope it gets better in the summer :)

Kenny

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi folks you can forget the MPG in this weather, as long as the car start's be thankfull.
Bring back the Summer!!

Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
mb_smudge said:
Hey Bob, I've noticed the same mpg drop from a nice ~39 to ~33... just curious but how come it can take a dive?

Hi mb_smudge

I too have a crdi (se not SX) and was wondering, is that incorporating alot of motorway miles or just around town driving??

Many thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is definitely cold weather that does this. Last week the temp was averaging about 6 degrees, and my fuel consumption came back up to ~37mpg.

My running is a mix of town and a-roads, with about 10% at motorway speeds

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Folks, yes last week I recorded 39 MPG on the last tank fill.
But with the cold weather you spend a bit more time cleaning the windows and may have the rear window heater on and lights, which is all a bit more load on the engine.

I always take a pinch of salt with the figures the makers say on fuel consumsion.

Keep a running total of your fuel useage over a period of time so you get a feel of how your car performs, and it can quickly tell you if some think is not just right.

Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi can anyone tell me what sort of mpg from a 1.6 cdri pro-creed 3 the car is only 2 months old also has 6 gears seems to do a very low milage about 45 mpg combine is this right thanks for your response

·
Registered
16 Posts
hi thanks for the reply Paul they claim you should be getting 67 mph combine but no where near that is it worth getting the car remapped to improve the mpg

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Swiftyjack and welcome.

This time of year for get MPG.

I have covered over 14K+ in my Kia and it is still improving the more I use it.

Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Bob thanks for your reply can i ask if you drive a pro-ceed 1.6 desiel also what sort of miles are you getting from yours thank you regards Jackie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts