Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I just wondered if there are any PHEV owners that can report real world economy figures. The variance range of mpg figures for this model is huge! I appreciate there are many factors at play here, but i'd be keen to hear PHEV figures from real drivers in the real world - Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
On Order: Sportage GT Line S PHEV in Infra Red
204 Posts
The largest single factor will be how much you can plug it in, and therefore how much EV running you can do. This will affect the mpg the most.

I hope that it will do in the 40s mpg when discharged personally but I don't know how realistic that is.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Already answered elsewhere, but early days (2 weeks in) consistently at 38 miles range on pure EV.
Dealer supplied £20 of petrol which largely unused to date as just hospital runs or shopping.
Topped battery up twice, once trickle overnight (cost about £3, so not doing that again) and once on 7.2 Kw charge point in less than 2 hours in the afternoon on "free" solar panel power.
As you say, loads of variables, but using "normal electrics, dash cam, radio, A/C etc although Mrs Axe tends to drive it with kid gloves at present :)
But what is "Real World" when there are so many variables?
It's enough for us to get to family and back without recharging, local runs etc and we have the engine for longer journeys when obviously the more fuel you use, the lower the overall mpg will be.
That's one of the reasons we didn't go full out for an EV only.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Already answered elsewhere, but early days (2 weeks in) consistently at 38 miles range on pure EV.
Dealer supplied £20 of petrol which largely unused to date as just hospital runs or shopping.
Topped battery up twice, once trickle overnight (cost about £3, so not doing that again) and once on 7.2 Kw charge point in less than 2 hours in the afternoon on "free" solar panel power.
As you say, loads of variables, but using "normal electrics, dash cam, radio, A/C etc although Mrs Axe tends to drive it with kid gloves at present :)
But what is "Real World" when there are so many variables?
It's enough for us to get to family and back without recharging, local runs etc and we have the engine for longer journeys when obviously the more fuel you use, the lower the overall mpg will be.
That's one of the reasons we didn't go full out for an EV only.
I have a question that's been bugging me. Can you advise if the air con or the cabin heating require the ICE to be running?

Cheers

·
Registered
204 Posts
Can you advise if the air con or the cabin heating require the ICE to be running?
All heating is provided by the ICE, though the manual implies its only heating that does this not AC but I can't confirm that.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I have a question that's been bugging me. Can you advise if the air con or the cabin heating require the ICE to be running?

Cheers
No, not in our (limited) experience, although not used heating.
Can't see the point of a large ICE being used for such an ancillary purpose.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Can't see the point of a large ICE being used for such an ancillary purpose.
My understanding is that from a pure energy usage standpoint the ICE is more efficient that electric for heating.

Or it could just be that Kia didnt include all of the kit required for pure electric heating in the PHEV because they can always just use the waste heat from the engine.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The wording from Kia is this:

There are certain situations in which the petrol engine will automatically activate even when the vehicle is in EV mode. Examples could include: when the hybrid battery state of charge is reduced to a certain level, when acceleration demand is high and/or when it is required to heat up the cabin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts