Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 1.6 Sportage 4 Petrol.

In January 2021 the particulate filter light came on. I contacted the dealership and they blamed short journey/engine not getting hot enough. They suggested taking a long journey at high driving speeds. When I pointed out we were in a lockdown and this was not an essential journey, they took the car in and did a forced regen.

Now March 2021 less than two months later and 150 miles on the clock, the exact same warning light has appeared.

Is this normal or acceptable?

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,436 Posts
Is it normal? Sadly it appears to be the new normal. There are any number of posts about particulate filter lights coming on petrol engined cars. The exhaust has to get hot for the particulate filter to do it's job properly and forced regen's are not healthy. There is a reply that is on this thread that explains a lot.
Is it acceptable? I honestly don't know, but if you only do short journey's maybe it is time to consider an EV.

·
Registered
361 Posts
It is acceptable because the governments have forced manufacturers to fit these devices and these devices rely on a certain pattern of usage to function correctly.

I would personally argue that a maintenance run to ensure your car doesn't suffer mechanical issues for if/when you need it, IS an essential journey. I have been taking all my cars out once a fortnight on a rotating basis for this very reason.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Agree, the cars need to have longish runs at operating temperature to keep clear. Mine is a 69 plate with 8000 miles on clock and so far it’s been fine. I travel about 10 miles each way to work on a national speed limit road so this seems to be fine.

I assume as long as it has regular journeys that aren’t just a quick mile down the road that the filter should remain clear?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My daily journey is about a 6 mile round trip. Given this issue only came up in January, I am not that happy it has happened so soon again

·
Registered
317 Posts
My daily journey is about a 6 mile round trip. Given this issue only came up in January, I am not that happy it has happened so soon again
Sorry you don't feel happy but this is the reality of diesel/petrol particulate filters. A 6 mile round trip per day will not clear the particulate filter, it will in all probability add to the problem as the engine has not heated up to its maximum temperature to allow regeneration of the unit. This is not specific to Kia as all new cars have to be fitted with particulate filters be it petrol and diesel and issues are common with all makes of cars if only short journeys are made. I know of people with Audi's and Mercedes with exactly the same problem, and all cars are used for short commutes to work or the supermarket. The only sure way to solve these issues is to take the car for a run at 70mph on a dual carriageway/motorway on a regular basis.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Makes you wonder if the people that legislate the fitting of these devices think their policies through.

Fair enough that particulate filters are their to reduce a certain type of air pollution, but if you have to take your shopping car for an unnecessary long drive to keep it running, it just creates more of a different type of pollution.

EVs would undoubtedly solve this problem, but they only make financial sense for someone doing lots of middle-distance journeys (fuel cost savings while always charging at home), or the business user who gets the tax breaks (lower BIK).

The average mum or pensioner who mostly does the school run or supermarket/garden centre trip will lose out whether they choose a new IC or electric vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies and thoughts.

I took the car out for a 30 minute spin on the motorway but the warning light has remained on. The car was quite ‘chuggy’ when going up through the gears and increasing speed. Journey time to and from the M25, meant the car was out for around 90 minutes in total.

Fundamentally feeling the car should be designed to go for more than 150 miles or so without this problem coming up in the first place

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
You will be lucky is the car gets up to running temp if that is all you do.
I know from ours that 3 to 4 miles is around the distance to get up to normal temp. Cold day can be even further.

Given your above post. A Italian tune up in in order. Lots of high revs to get everything hot and toasty. So if a DCT, then in Sport mode and keep forcing down shifts on M25.

Cold engine running is where most of the pollution comes from, so you are just filling the filter up, and never warming it enough to burn the soot off.
Which is just stoking up problems and it will end up needing to be replaced.

What sort of MPG are you getting?

Do not take this the wrong way, as it is not a dig or anything like that.
I know we all need cars for different things, but is a Sportage really a need, or just a nice to have?
I would say that a EV is really what you need, with that sort of mileage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The MPG is pretty terrible, last time I checked around 25.

Dont see your comments as a dig at all. We wanted a family sized SUV because one of our children is disabled (though not wheelchair) and having a larger car is easier for getting in and out of.

·
Registered
166 Posts
25 mpg isn't too bad on the short trips you are doing.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
The MPG is pretty terrible, last time I checked around 25.

Dont see your comments as a dig at all. We wanted a family sized SUV because one of our children is disabled (though not wheelchair) and having a larger car is easier for getting in and out of.
Thanks.

I do wonder if something like a Niro would suit, larger rear door opening and plenty of room in the back. We can get a Mobility scooter or wheelchair in the boot of ours.

Once dealers are open and you can try cars, might be worth looking at one to see how your family are in one.

Might just be a better option, so long as you are able to charge at home.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Fundamentally feeling the car should be designed to go for more than 150 miles or so without this problem coming up in the first place
The only way that's going to happen is if car manufacturers can get government to change policy. Until then the technology is what it is and it's not really the car manufacturers fault that they cannot design a way around a problem that has been imposed on them.

·
Registered
Titanium Silver Kia Picanto GT-Line S 1.0 TGDI
11 Posts
Hello
My Picanto 1.0 TGDI suffered from poor fuel consumption & hesitation when I got it in December 2020. I bought the car used the previous owner only used it for town runs. It only had 4000 miles on it when I got it. Being a ex technician I decided to clean the throttle body & intake with carb cleaner. I then changed the oil & filter & added a Liqui Moly petrol injection fuel treatment and filled up with shell v power. Almost straight away the engine was allot more smoother, responsive. The car now returns about 55 mpg. I have about a 40 mile commute to work and back. My GPF light has never come on.
From my experience working in the dealerships when I was younger the engine oil can be in the car for well over a year when the car is new. In my opinion the oil the manufactures use at the factory when the car is built is not the best quality. I changed the oil on my dad's Toyota Yaris 1.5 petrol the other day. The car has only covered 300 miles and is 2020 model. The oil that came out was not very good quality. It took the very thin 0W-20 oil.
My advice if you get no joy from the dealer, get a good idependant garage to clean your throttle body, change your oil & filter, use Mann oil filter Kia & Hyundai use these as OE , put a good quality petrol injection cleaner in your tank. Not sure what type of oil spec goes in yours, I think it might be a fully synthetic ACEA C2 0w-30, have a look in your handbook.
Unfortunatly carbon build & varnish build up is accelerated with short journeys.
If your doing short journeys I would recommend changing your oil & filter every 5000 miles or 6 months being a TGDI engine.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I do wonder if something like a Niro would suit
Changing your car to save money will never work.

If you do 6000 miles a year at 25 mpg it will cost you about £1300 in petrol.

Doing the same 6000 miles in an electric using a off peak rate to charge will cost about £200 (less if you have access to free electricity).

Looks like a saving of £1100 a year but how long will it take you to recoup that when you consider the loss on your existing car and the depreciation on a newer very expensive electric car?

It makes more sense when you want to change cars for other reasons (such as need more space, had the car as long as you normally keep them, existing car is troublesome etc) but not to save money.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
It not a case of saving money, as much as saving constant issues.

OP is clearly not happy with the constant issue of PPF light coming on, which is fair enough.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,436 Posts
I don't think it is only a money saving issue, but if it was you would have to factor in the cost of a replacement GPF unit, I gather they are not cheap. If it continues to need forced regens I am fairly sure it's life span will be shortened.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts