Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sportage 1.6 CRDi '4' DCT Mild Hybrid
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gone from Sportage to Niro to have the benefits of the Hybrid or EV or for any other reason for that matter. Would it be a complete no no for you or would you wait for the Sportage to add an EV to it's range?

·
Registered
302 Posts
For me the sportage hits the spot, i would love a hybrid sporty to try and get better fuel consumption on my local journeys i bought this one to keep 10 years. But i may purchase a hybrid if kia brings one out sooner.
when i bought this one i considered it value for money against what i thought was over priced competitors.
3 years on still very happy

·
Registered
139 Posts
Has anyone gone from Sportage to Niro to have the benefits of the Hybrid or EV or for any other reason for that matter. Would it be a complete no no for you or would you wait for the Sportage to add an EV to it's range?
If it helps, I have a Mild Hybrid Sportage and my son has the Self Charging Niro. Both of us are perfectly happy with our purchases, but our reasons are different. The Mild Hybrid works in a different way to the Niro, it really depends how 'pure' you want to be. I wanted AWD and not to be so low to the ground, he wanted a 'proper' hybrid. His consumption figures are better than mine but I have a bigger, heavier, AWD drive car, which, for me, is the better compromise. Horses for courses really, but both seem suitably competent in their way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where I can't really fault the views of #noublue or #Alanw47 except probably the hype of the Mild Hybrid plus the AWD. The Mild Hybrid (which I have) I feel as though it's a bit of a con, and imho it gives no relief to city consumption.
The AWD is a personal preference which I have no use for in general everyday motoring. I had a X3 Xdrive previously and when it was needed it wasn't there, in fact it may have put me in a greater predicament.
I do really like and enjoy driving the Sportage, the difference between the Kia and the BMW is that the Kia way exceeds expectations where the later did not one iota. Also I am also totally oblivious to the badge snobbery that's out there, I feel I am driving the best kept secret..
I am not to sure if we are near the end of battery technology but the ranges don't suit my needs. The Niro e I sat in I found the seats for me were so pinchy in the back, so I didn't go any further.
So if I get to the point of wanting to go EV the Sporty needs to go all electric or unfortunately I will have to consider others.
All my present thinking is down to that blonde idiot that stated that petrol and diesel engines are to be finished by 2030.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes. I had 2 Sportages, both diesels. Loved them. Swapped to a Niro, now on my 2nd. Enjoyed the first more than the current one, too many annoying beeps and chimes on this one. MPG in the Sportage normally low 50s. MPG in the Niros varies by season. 72ish in Summer 66ish in winter. If you need the space have a Sportage, if you want the mileage havea Niro. My ideal would be a Sportage with a Niro drive train. If they made a Sportage full HEV (Not mild) I would have one.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yeah I think when the new 2021 sportage comes out it will go the same way as the new sorento with a hybrid set up

·
Registered
46 Posts
We were considering hybrid Niro but I drive like 2-3 miles from cold, so was told that the vehicle will work on ICE instead of battery. So bought petrol Ceed.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
With the pressure on in the UK for EV cars, my biggest issue is true range.
The Niro seems to have one of the best, somewhere over 300 miles, but how much is impacted by bad weather, dark, cold winters nights on a long run?
We need a boot as large (or larger) than the Sporty and I can't see the point in hybrids where you have the weight of both an ICE engine AND batteries. Either one or the other.
There's also the problem of recharge while on a journey, how many fast charge points are there, and are they working or available when you get there?
We drive to southern Spain twice a year, over 600 miles a day, which would mean at least two stops for a recharge, a fast one at lunch and perhaps overnight at a hotel, but I'd hate to do it worrying about where and how long a recharge would take at lunch, in case we didn't reach our hotel in time.
Early days but I keep hearing that the batteries tend to deteriorate each year, so range would come down, requiring a recalculation as to which hotel we can reach each day.
Then there's the colossal cost of an EV car, even with tax allowance and home charger.

With the UK having so many people made redundant, there must be brains aplenty out there that could work on battery technology to solve it in the next few years and put the UK in the lead.

A proper 5 seater (as in Citroen C4 and C5) AWD with large boot (a 7 seat chassis with option to lose the rear row?) and 400 mile plus range in all weather and night driving.

That's the challenge, who can meet it sub £40k?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
It's a big ask, Kevin! Long time no see, by the way; I thought you had perhaps bought into another brand.

As for battery technology, don't expect major breakthroughs any time soon. The Americans have had people pursuing extended battery life for many years and the improvements have been slow to emerge - there have been improvements but nowhere near enough to produce the kind of mileage from motor cars that would answer the questions about cross-continent road trips.

I'm on my third electric bike and I have kept an eye on the subject of batteries over the years and the progress on extended battery life has been slow. Every now and again, I have read reports of a major breakthrough, typically, 'Scientists working in conjunction with MIT are on the verge of new miracle battery technology!'..........Invariably, nothing ever comes of it except that the American military throws millions of dollars from their budget into MIT, so desperate are they to stay ahead of the game with battery powered weaponry, aircraft, boats, satellites, etc.

It's a nice trick for universities to acquire extra funding!

If I change cars again, I expect it will need to be electric I suppose. Otherwise, the clowns running (ruining) the country will tax i/c cars relentlessly, ban them from more and more cities, and they will become unsellable. You are right to question the reality of electric car usage because the hype from know-nothing politicians outweighs the substance by an enormous measure. The planet will not be saved by electric vehicles alone!

·
Registered
178 Posts
The battery life issue isn't really a surprise given that we have all been using laptops, phones, shavers, sat navs etc for many years and we all know that after 2 years the battery is usually b******d and either won't hold a charge for long or needs recharging twice a day. Have they solved the problem that recharging before almost empty also causes? Where the battery 'learns' to show empty well before it is.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's a big ask, Kevin! Long time no see, by the way; I thought you had perhaps bought into another brand.

As for battery technology, don't expect major breakthroughs any time soon. The Americans have had people pursuing extended battery life for many years and the improvements have been slow to emerge - there have been improvements but nowhere near enough to produce the kind of mileage from motor cars that would answer the questions about cross-continent road trips.

I'm on my third electric bike and I have kept an eye on the subject of batteries over the years and the progress on extended battery life has been slow. Every now and again, I have read reports of a major breakthrough, typically, 'Scientists working in conjunction with MIT are on the verge of new miracle battery technology!'..........Invariably, nothing ever comes of it except that the American military throws millions of dollars from their budget into MIT, so desperate are they to stay ahead of the game with battery powered weaponry, aircraft, boats, satellites, etc.

It's a nice trick for universities to acquire extra funding!

If I change cars again, I expect it will need to be electric I suppose. Otherwise, the clowns running (ruining) the country will tax i/c cars relentlessly, ban them from more and more cities, and they will become unsellable. You are right to question the reality of electric car usage because the hype from know-nothing politicians outweighs the substance by an enormous measure. The planet will not be saved by electric vehicles alone!
I tend to agree with #Indalo's thoughts generally, I too think battery technology is at it's peak with no major developments in quite some time to come.
It's all a question of power to weight ratios and a balance has to be struck, we would have had EV's years ago but the battery technology was just not there.
Our PM's crackpot idea of ridding petrol and diesel engines by 2030 is just totally ridiculous to the point of being reckless. Imho I believe this pipe dream won't happen.
Look into the future. Sit at any filling station and watch the vehicles that call in for fuel and imagine every pump is a charging point that is required for at least 20 minutes . . . . and the queues. OK a lot can charge at home but can the National Grid cope, the pressure for supply will be immense.

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
With the pressure on in the UK for EV cars, my biggest issue is true range.
The Niro seems to have one of the best, somewhere over 300 miles, but how much is impacted by bad weather, dark, cold winters nights on a long run?
We need a boot as large (or larger) than the Sporty and I can't see the point in hybrids where you have the weight of both an ICE engine AND batteries. Either one or the other.
There's also the problem of recharge while on a journey, how many fast charge points are there, and are they working or available when you get there?
We drive to southern Spain twice a year, over 600 miles a day, which would mean at least two stops for a recharge, a fast one at lunch and perhaps overnight at a hotel, but I'd hate to do it worrying about where and how long a recharge would take at lunch, in case we didn't reach our hotel in time.
Early days but I keep hearing that the batteries tend to deteriorate each year, so range would come down, requiring a recalculation as to which hotel we can reach each day.
Then there's the colossal cost of an EV car, even with tax allowance and home charger.

With the UK having so many people made redundant, there must be brains aplenty out there that could work on battery technology to solve it in the next few years and put the UK in the lead.

A proper 5 seater (as in Citroen C4 and C5) AWD with large boot (a 7 seat chassis with option to lose the rear row?) and 400 mile plus range in all weather and night driving.

Plenty of people do long trips into Europe in EV's. just requires a bit more planning.

TBH, I think you are looking at a PHEV. But I get where you come from on the extra weight. But unless you want to commit to full EV, then they are the a good choice.
Ford Kuga PHEV s my choice at the moment, but until the battery issue is fixed, that is a non starter as you can't buy them.
But they have just brought out a Hybrid with a petrol engine that looks pretty good, just need to see how the reviews go on it.

Kia need to get their act together and get the whole range PHEV or full Hybrid, not just the pointless Mhev's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts