Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Diesel AWD 2L ECO Sportage.

Every now and again the battery drains and car will not start, use jump pack and starts first time. Example, we left the car a whole week and no problem but leaving it two days recently and it was dead, the other day we also left car for just about 5 hours and it died but it started this morning after two days of non use.
I have checked battery terminals and they are clean and tight, I have used a battery analyser and it reports battery as good although not in its prime as original. Next thing to try this weekend is measuring for a parasitic drain. Problem here is if it is a drain and it is intermittent it would be looking for the needle in the hay stack.

Has anyone else had a similar situation or can you suggest any other tests I can perform?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry Turnup, been away from laptop for a few days. I will also check the ground strap when I get back to car this weekend, if storm Dennis allows.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am experiencing the same problem. Been away for a week and on return car battery is totally dead. Had the battery fully charged - left is for 2 days, totally dead. This is a brand new battery (2 mth old) and no lights etc had been left on. I also noticed that when I remotely lock the car there is no audible signal to indicate the car is locked and the indicator lights don't flash (when unlocking the indicator lights do flash). I have tried contacting the garage I purchasd from and the local Kia dealership but both are closed
My car is a 2014 Kia Sportage KX4 automatic

Any ideas/suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My sportage battery went flat last year, the night before going off to the continent, fortunately I was going to take the car for a drive to to check everything was OK otherwise I'd have woken up to a dead battery and missed the early morning ferry. I thought maybe I'd left a light on or something but it happened again in December so I had a new battery fitted - Not cheap!
All was fine until about a month ago, when I went to do my fortnightly shop the battery was dead again, so I checked all lights etc were off, charged it up and went the next day then left the car until a couple of days ago when the same thing has happened, it was completely flat, I couldn't even get the key fob to open the door.
This morning I decided to see what's going on and I found that there's a drain on the battery of about 1.5 amps, which seems a lot for a car alarm and a dashcam (that cuts out when the voltage drops below 12v anyway).
I also noticed that the earth terminal was loose and no amount of tightening can get it to clamp tightly to the battery. It's a weird design and I can't see how it's supposed to actually clamp tight when you turn the bolt.
The dashcam normally comes on when I turn the key but it hadn't been working the last few times I used the car, it didn't work this morning either until I tried tightening the terminal.
I suspect that the failure to start is down to the terminal not making a proper contact with the battery, not that the battery is flat.
I have previously left the car at the airport for 2 or 3 weeks and found no problems when I arrived back and I've had no changes to the car since then.
So, firstly, anyone have any idea how much the power car alarm should be pulling? - 1.5 or so amps at 12.5v is nearly 20 watts, which is quite a bit of power.
Secondly - if your battery is dead, try the connection, it may not be making a good contact. I'm going to stick a very thin panel pin between the connector and the earth strap, just to make sure it's nice and tight.

·
Banned
5,227 Posts
A static drain of 1.5 amps is way too much. That'll flatten a fully charged 60 Ah battery in 40 hours. You need to investigate this. The loose battery clamp is also an issue - it should be tight. post some piccies?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've had an issue with a 65 Soul 46K miles. Just on lockdown. Full brake change and valet. Went to start it - click click. Battery charged and parasitic drain check. What was apparent is that the draw on the battery reduced over around 30 mins. I can only assume its the canbus shutting down
All charged up and started and again doors left open whilst working on the car. Next time - click click. It was apparant that although the battery was holding charge it was not holding much so a start consumed what power it had leaving not a lot for such things as prolonged interior lights on.
I can only put it down to when Mrs FC took the car away overnight and discovered she had left an interior light on completely flattening the battery. This does them no good and can cause damage to the plates and they no longer hold a full charge. I think its known as 'sulphating'
Long story short new battery and all is good.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Wow, memory! Going back to my 1959 R.A.F days sulphating could be cured by a very slow charge indeed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts